PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Running DBAN how long dose it ussualy take?

Rave Gloves
August 17th, 2010, 12:32 AM
In an attemp to fix my hard drive I ran DBAN and its says it will take 120hours, that dosnt sound right to me :(

bodhi.zazen
August 17th, 2010, 12:39 AM
In an attemp to fix my hard drive I ran DBAN and its says it will take 120hours, that dosnt sound right to me :(

Depends on the size of the drive, but 120 hours is too long.

FYI you can make a single pass with dd (all 0's) , just as secure /effective as DBAN.

What problem are you having that you thought dban would fix ?

Rave Gloves
August 17th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Depends on the size of the drive, but 120 hours is too long.

FYI you can make a single pass with dd (all 0's) , just as secure /effective as DBAN.

What problem are you having that you thought dban would fix ?

DBAN has failed apparently, My harddrive failed and the cause before It failed was it was written over to much and I thought DBAN would fix that, I have no money yo buy a new harddrive and I need my laptop for collage, so I'm trying everything :(

bodhi.zazen
August 17th, 2010, 01:13 AM
DBAN has failed apparently, My harddrive failed and the cause before It failed was it was written over to much and I thought DBAN would fix that, I have no money yo buy a new harddrive and I need my laptop for collage, so I'm trying everything :(

Oh noes !!!!

As far as I know, there is no way to repair bad sectors on a hard drive.

Perhaps a USB / Flash drive with persistence.

Rave Gloves
August 17th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Oh noes !!!!

As far as I know, there is no way to repair bad sectors on a hard drive.

Perhaps a USB / Flash drive with persistence.

Is persistence a program?

Rave Gloves
August 17th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Also anything that I could do in terminal will not work, I can't acutully open anything on my laptop anymore, it just shuts down and gives me a wall of errors that are to do with my partitions I'm sure

bodhi.zazen
August 17th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Is persistence a program?

No

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14912/create-a-persistent-bootable-ubuntu-usb-flash-drive/