PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] sudo/gksudo

Primus1
August 16th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I have searched and found that gksudo should be used when dealing with graphical applications.
Is there an easy way to know what is a graphical app and what isn't, ok Gimp is graphical, so is gksudo only used on apps in the Applications- Graphics part of the menu list?

Zeike
August 16th, 2010, 10:02 PM
I have searched and found that gksudo should be used when dealing with graphical applications.
Is there an easy way to know what is a graphical app and what isn't, ok Gimp is graphical, so is gksudo only used on apps in the Applications- Graphics part of the menu list?

Graphical in this case doesn't mean apps that deal with apps, it means apps that have a GUI (graphical user interface). Everything that you don't run completely in a terminal or console is 'graphical' in this sense.

bodhi.zazen
August 16th, 2010, 10:59 PM

Why would you run gimp as root ?

In general, you should only be performing system administration as root.

In general, commands you run in a terminal use sudo

sudo chmod ....

Applications, such as gedit or nautilus or networkmanager, are graphical.

ubudog
August 17th, 2010, 03:31 AM
Say you want to open the file manager as root. It is better to use gksudo for that. You can do that using the command:

gksu nautilus (nautilus is the file manager)

For GIMP though, you do not need to be root (admin) to run it, so it does not use gksudo.

Ozymandias_117
August 17th, 2010, 03:38 AM

A graphical app is anything that has a window. If it only runs in the terminal, then it isn't graphical.

ubudog
August 17th, 2010, 03:41 AM
But you only need to use gksudo for graphical apps that need to be ran as root.

Primus1
August 18th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Sorry about this late reply, I've been having problems.

Thanks for the answers, I get it now. Marking this as solved.

Primus1
August 18th, 2010, 10:44 AM
"Why would you run gimp as root ?"

I don't, just giving it as an example of what I thought (then) was 'graphical' but from your answer I understand the difference now, thanks.

marking as solved.

lisati
August 18th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Threads merged.

Have a look here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

bodhi.zazen
August 18th, 2010, 04:45 PM
"Why would you run gimp as root ?"

I don't, just giving it as an example of what I thought (then) was 'graphical' but from your answer I understand the difference now, thanks.

marking as solved.

OK, we do not have to slap you with a wet fish then :lolflag:

Glad you got your question answered.

Primus1
August 19th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Thanks guys, I admonish myself, the link you gave looks familiar, I think I've read it before! What a memory!

HAL: "I can feel it Dave ... I'm losing my mind ..." :)