PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No Audio at all

penalt
August 16th, 2010, 03:30 AM
I'm desperately looking for some help with this problem. I have posted this to two other areas but from the lack of response I am assuming I posted them in the wrong spot...

/ repost

I'm currently in the process of joining the Dreddit corporation in Eve Online. On of the things they use is the Mumble program. So, to anticipate, I downloaded Mumble via the Ubuntu Software Center but I couldn't seem to get it to recognize my mic. I closed down the program in frustration and since then I have had no sound anywhere with Ubuntu.

My volume indicator seems to indicate that things have been muted but I have been unable to find anything in my Sound Preferences that seems to indicate muted sounds. I previously did have Wine set to use OSS drivers instead of ALSA because that was the only way I had sound in Eve at all.

Since the problem developed even the audio settings panel in Wine has changed. Help!

ps. I have since noticed that Ubuntu is not showing any audio hardware in anything that I can access.

/ end repost

If this is also the wrong place for this I am absolutely fine with a mod moving this post to the correct area. thx.

jmfal
August 16th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Applications>accessories>terminal type in

alsamixer

make sure mic is not muted (use arrows on keypad, l/r to change selection up/dwn to raise/lower in/output)

penalt
August 16th, 2010, 06:24 AM
I get 'cannot open mixer: no such file or directory'......

mastablasta
August 16th, 2010, 07:09 AM
you need to restart alsamixer.

set it up and then save settings. sorry i dont' know the commands at the moment as they are written down on piece fo paper i left at home... but someone else here might know them.

penalt
August 16th, 2010, 07:36 AM
I may not HAVE alsamixer. There is a Gnome Alsamixer in the software center and a search of my installed alsa softwares shows an Alsa Utilities but no alsa mixer....

khelben1979
August 16th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I suspect that Ubuntu have made an kernel upgrade through the regular Ubuntu updates system.

If that is the case, then you can try with restarting the Ubuntu Linux system to see if anything changes. If that don't solve the problem, the solution is to reinstall the ALSA sound system and there's different methods of achieving that, but for now let's wait and see if a reboot fixes the problem, I guess you've tried it?

Using Gnome Alsamixer or just Alsamixer doesn't matter in this case, they both have the same functionality and features. Alsamixer don't require a working X server since it's text based.

penalt
August 16th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I suspect that Ubuntu have made an kernel upgrade through the regular Ubuntu updates system.

If that is the case, then you can try with restarting the Ubuntu Linux system to see if anything changes. If that don't solve the problem, the solution is to reinstall the ALSA sound system and there's different methods of achieving that, but for now let's wait and see if a reboot fixes the problem, I guess you've tried it?

Using Gnome Alsamixer or just Alsamixer doesn't matter in this case, they both have the same functionality and features. Alsamixer don't require a working X server since it's text based.

Yes, I have rebooted the system a few times. How would I go about reinstalling the Alsa sound system?

penalt
August 17th, 2010, 02:49 AM
Extra information that may help. Did a command of:lspci -v
And got:

00:07.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP67 High Definition Audio (rev a1)
Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0126
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 21
Memory at f2680000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

Which would seem to indicate that my drivers are there at least.

Edit: Did a full alsa purge, followed by a reinstall. Same result with aplay -l command:

aplay: device_list:223: no soundcards found...

penalt
August 17th, 2010, 03:05 AM
Oh, this is comedy....

I have 2 Ubuntu installations on my computer. In frustration I went and booted the old one. Lo and behold SOUND!!!!!

I go wtf and reboot back to my main linux install, and I have sound again and now my sound card is detected and running. I'm not sure what happened but I have sound.

khelben1979
August 17th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Nice that you got it working! I recommend you mark the thread as solved.