PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I get ubuntu to start up automatically at specified times and dates?

Old Jimma
August 16th, 2010, 03:08 AM
Hi Ubuntu:

I'm working on making my computer more "green" by shutting down my computer automatically using crontab and shutdown after it has completed scripts that I've written.

No sense in burning electricity needlessly.

However, this poses a problem for me. Afer getting crontab and shutdown to shut my computer down automatically, I need it to wake up and start working again... automatically on spcified days and times... on other scripts that I've written.

How do I get ubuntu to start up automatically at specified times and dates?

THanks!
Phil Smith
Duluth, GA

SpockVulcan
August 16th, 2010, 03:22 AM
This can be done in the BIOS.

M93
August 16th, 2010, 03:33 AM
could u please tell me how to do it in the BIOS:)

proxyofsocks
August 16th, 2010, 03:35 AM
If you have a dd-wrt capable router, the firmware has a WOL daemon.

Aearenda
August 16th, 2010, 03:43 AM
See this link (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ACPI_Wakeup) - but in my experience, it's very BIOS dependent - some computers do it perfectly, others less so.

diablo75
August 16th, 2010, 07:19 AM
I only know of two ways to do this, and doing it through the BIOS is one that was mentioned. In my experience, you are limited to a specific date and time, but not multiple dates and times.

The other method would involve some sort of Wake-On-Lan feature, which is also dependent upon your BIOS having the capability to listen for an incoming "Wake UP!" signal on the network. And it's something I've never messed with so couldn't tell you more. From the looks of it, someone else has already pointed out an open-source firmware replacement for your router which could be configured to administer these wake up signals, but you should investigate your BIOS first to see if it would even work.

wojox
August 16th, 2010, 07:25 AM
If you shutdown you've turned it off.

If you need it to wake up you've suspended or hibernated.

Which is it. :confused:

diablo75
August 16th, 2010, 07:30 AM
If you shutdown you've turned it off.

If you need it to wake up you've suspended or hibernated.

Which is it. :confused:

The OP is trying to automate his computer to turn itself on AND off at specific times in an effort to save electricity.

Old Jimma
August 16th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Hi All:

I was the originator of this discusion.

How about something short of shutdown? Ie, rather than shutting down, how about 'hibernate' or 'suspend?'

I don't know too much about those. Could they reduce power demands but alow crontab to continue working?

Phil Smith
DUluth, GA

Aearenda
August 16th, 2010, 09:47 AM
I use crontab to schedule the shutdown after priming the BIOS to wake the computer at a set time, as described in the Myth wiki (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ACPI_Wakeup) I linked above. I have crontab set different wake times on different days.

No crontab will work during standby or hibernate. The only choices are to trigger a wake via the network card, or use the timer, both of which are BIOS dependent.

LightningCrash
August 16th, 2010, 01:20 PM
If you have a dd-wrt capable router, the firmware has a WOL daemon.

I have done this before and it worked pretty well.

Old Jimma
August 16th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Thanks Aearenda!!!

Old Jimma
August 19th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Hi Aearenda:

Thanks so much for providing the link. It looks exactly like what I'm looking for!

Phil Smith
Duluth, GA

Aearenda
August 20th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Good! I just wish it always worked - on some computers it does, others not.