PDA

View Full Version : I am so screwed....

darco
August 15th, 2010, 09:32 PM
First my barely 2yr old internal WD Sata backup drive quits on me..not a problem as my external WD hdd is the backup to the backup. Now w/o ANY warning at all my external hdd is giving me the click of death!....
I know I should have immediately bought another drive but come on, these drives are rated for what, 500000 hrs? arrghh.....!!!
And no I wont pay for someone to recover these files for me but dang, come on WD, your drives suck!

slooksterpsv
August 15th, 2010, 09:34 PM
First my barely 2yr old internal WD Sata backup drive quits on me..not a problem as my external WD hdd is the backup to the backup. Now w/o ANY warning at all my external hdd is giving me the click of death!....
I know I should have immediately bought another drive but come on, these drives are rated for what, 500000 hrs? arrghh.....!!!
And no I wont pay for someone to recover these files for me but dang, come on WD, your drives suck!

WD used to be good, but I'm finding SG works better than WD. I've had 2 brand new WD SATA drives go out on me within 2 months. Good thing I worked at the place that bought them so I RMA'ed and switched for a different one. My laptop is running a... WD haha that's great. Maybe it's just their 250s, cause this 500 works flawlessly so far.

mips
August 15th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Depending on what's wrong with the drives you might be able to recover the data but get a new drive first to restore to.

CharlesA
August 15th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Anything will moving parts can (and will) fail.

Get a new drive and copy yer files to it.

darco
August 15th, 2010, 10:00 PM
I am looking on Newegg and see a SG 1.5tb drive for 79 bucks but these huge drives are a pain. When my WD started to go, I ran a 3rd party disc check and after 8hrs, it barely covered 25%. I guess the mfg dont expect you to ever run diagnostics on their drives....

Bronco24
August 15th, 2010, 10:14 PM

Sh*t on WD & SG... I recomend Hitachi - silent & dependable.

SoFl W
August 15th, 2010, 10:20 PM
At my old job we were buying WD and they failed after a year in machines that were on 24 hour a day/7 days a week. Don't trust them.
I have a Maxtor drive that is ten years old, still works, it has been moved to an external case and I don't trust it. I know it wants to go but it has been working for ten years.
Maxtor was bought out, I am using Seagate in my current system and my external RAID device.

darco
August 15th, 2010, 10:31 PM
I think its a crapshoot w/any HDD you buy...reading reviews on Newegg, it seems all drives have issues.....some more than others...
ready to roll the dice...

viper250
August 15th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I use ibm and Hitachi drives both and have had no problems with them at all
but Ive had more wd drives fail than sg

themusicalduck
August 15th, 2010, 11:20 PM
I've had more problems with Seagate than any other drives.

I bought an external drive from them that arrived broken in the post and so sent it back on RMA to be repaired. After a couple of years of not heavy use it broke again.

I also bought a 1.5tb internal drive from them which arrived broken in the post again. Got a refund and bought a WD instead which has worked great so far.

CharlesA
August 15th, 2010, 11:29 PM
I am looking on Newegg and see a SG 1.5tb drive for 79 bucks but these huge drives are a pain. When my WD started to go, I ran a 3rd party disc check and after 8hrs, it barely covered 25%. I guess the mfg dont expect you to ever run diagnostics on their drives....

I've used the manufactures diag utilites and they mostly just do a short test to see if the drive passes. If it does, you can do a long test.

Sh*t on WD & SG... I recomend Hitachi - silent & dependable.

I've had success with Maxtor, WD, SG and Hitachi. All work for me.

I've also had 2 Seagate external drives DoA. :o

cariboo
August 16th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Near the end just before Maxtor was bought out, I had several of them die within a month of purchase, I also stay away from Fujitsu, and I haven't had the best of luck with Hitachi, after all they still name their drives Deathstar :). I've had the best of luck with WD and Seagate.

I had a couple of WD 400Gb drives that I thought I had problems with, but it turned out to be a problem with fakeraid corrupting data. The drives are still in use 2 years later, with zero problems.

darco
August 16th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Does that old rule apply still about when installing a 2nd drive it should be at least the same mfg as the 1st drive? I have a WD Sata 3.0 and thinking of buying anything but a WD...
thxs

linux18
August 16th, 2010, 01:01 AM
The way to get data off a clicking hard disk its as old as hard disks themselves:

As soon as the hard drive starts clicking, immediatly shut it down, stick it into a plastic bag, and store it in the freezer overnight. the next day pack it in instant icepacks, connect it to the computer, and clone the drive.

as for reliability, I have a 75MB seagate drive from 1991 still working on my dos laptop (hoping to find a linux for it eventually)

KdotJ
August 16th, 2010, 01:13 AM
as for reliability, I have a 75MB seagate drive from 1991 still working on my dos laptop (hoping to find a linux for it eventually)

75mb..nice lol.
I have a 250gb Seagate drive which I've had from 2005 and it works absolutely no problems still

murderslastcrow
August 16th, 2010, 01:49 AM
I seem to sell my computers and buy a new one before any of this kind of stuff happens. But this last computer I bought is so good that I decided I'll keep it for the next 20 years, since it will last me at least that long.

I hope you find a brand that serves you well this time. Kind of ironic that the people doing backups like they should are getting screwed while I'm not. =_= ; I'm going to regret this some day. I did back ups monthly for a while, but nothing ever happened, so I stopped. XD

Eh, I guess I don't have anything that wouldn't take more than a day to reproduce on this thing. Even code, it's all on Gmail.

Perhaps I shouldn't trust Gmail so much, either. O_O