PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] dell 1545 wireless

fegster69
August 15th, 2010, 05:09 PM
I have Windows 7 installed on my laptop, and I thought I would give Ubuntu a try. Unfortunately after installing I can't access the web using Ubuntu. It is not detecting the wireless network. I don't have access to a wired connection unfortunately, as I have read on here that that is the easiest and fastest way to resolve the problem. Is there anywhere where I can download the files I need? I have set Ubuntu to access my windows folders, so it wouldn't be a problem accessing the files after downloading them. I have the Dell Wireless 1397 Mini card installed, if that helps.

Thanks

Andy

MSPdwalt
August 15th, 2010, 05:58 PM
If you have a Dell wireless Card (Broadcomm) you probably need to authorize the drivers System > Administration > Hardware Drivers.

Ubuntu makes you authorize the use of closed source drivers on your system. The last time I ran it on a system with a Dell card I had to enable the drivers. You may also want to do this with NvIDIA/ATI graphics drivers.

-DW

fegster69
August 16th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Problem sorted. Managed to find a Ethernet cable, so just plugged it in, and away it went. Wireless seems to be up and running now. All I got to do now, is try and understand how you install programs, and understand the way Ubuntu works. After being a Windows user for sooooo long, it may take me some time. lol

Thanks

Andy