PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can't make a CD software file executable

al.adab
August 15th, 2010, 04:50 PM
hello,

I need to install Pentax software (photo management of raw files). This is DOS/Windows executable (application/x-ms-dos-executable) stuff on a CD. I previously installed it (Ubuntu 9.04) through Wine no problem. Now (on 10.04) I can't.

I initially get the following message:

The file '/media/S-SW74/Setup.exe' is not marked as executable. If this was downloaded or copied form an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run. For more details, read about the executable bit.

If I right-click on the Setup-exe icon, go to Properties/Permissions, and try to make it executable, I get the following message:

The permission could not be changed.
Sorry, could not change the permissions of "Setup.exe": Error setting permissions: Read-only file system

If I try to change from "Read-only" to "Read and write" (owner and group access) I get the same error message.

What should I do? I kind of recall using a chmod command in terminal ages ago, but can't figure out how to do it. If I copy the content of the CD onto my hard disk I can make the file executable no problem, I know, but I'd like to avoid having to do that...

thanks

arochester
August 15th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Have you tried the native Linux application called Rawstudio? It's in the Repositories. The website is http://rawstudio.org/

al.adab
August 15th, 2010, 05:32 PM
thanks arochester, I've just downloaded and tried it out...I'm shooting in JPEG monochrome (tried to shoot in RAW but it turns out to be too time consuming). I can get Rawstudio open JPEG files but not to restore information on colours in the photo...(but this is not the place to discuss this, I know!)

oldfred
August 15th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Have you copied file into wine? ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files

You cannot change settings on the CD, it is read only. But after you copy it into wine if it still is not executable you can change it.

al.adab
August 15th, 2010, 06:17 PM
yes I did copy it into wine + installed it. Need to create a new post, though, as I get a wine program error (probably a bug).