PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Environment Variable explained...

adharwood
August 14th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Hi folks

I think I need abit of help with environment variables
Basically I have a command (ncmpcpp) that I type into the terminal to load a program.

Im looking for a way to create an Alias, for example:
instead of typing "ncmpcpp", I could just type "music"

Following this, is there a way of typing a command that carries out a multiplicity of other commands?
Say, if I typed "new_directory", it would run the following
"cd /home/ad" and then "mkdir cookies"

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

pastalavista
August 14th, 2010, 07:10 PM
You could write a bash script (http://www.linuxconfig.org/Bash_scripting_Tutorial) and the name of the script would be the command.

By the way, welcome to the forums.

SoFl W
August 14th, 2010, 07:13 PM
alias music='ncmpcpp'

You can add that to your ".bashrc" file. It is case sensitive.

SoFl W
August 14th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Open a terminal window and type

nano .bashrc
scroll down until you get to the alias section. (It can go anywhere, but to keep it organized)

adharwood
August 14th, 2010, 07:36 PM
alias music='ncmpcpp'

You can add that to your ".bashrc" file. It is case sensitive.

Ah! thankyou so much!
Yeah I had been oblivious to the alias function!
So, to add multiple coammands, are these comma separated?

sandyd
August 14th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Ah! thankyou so much!
Yeah I had been oblivious to the alias function!
So, to add multiple coammands, are these comma separated?
naw. their either seperated by the "&" character (with spaces between the command and the character, or by the ";" character

mbsullivan
August 14th, 2010, 08:25 PM
naw. their either seperated by the "&" character (with spaces between the command and the character, or by the ";" character

You can also use TWO "&&" characters between the commands. Each approach has subtle differences, though.

(1) Using & characters will execute all commands IN PARALLEL, so if you want the commands to execute one after another, use some other method.

(2) Using the && character will execute subsequent commands only if all previous commands have returned a ZERO EXIT CODE (which normally indicates "success"). Therefore, if one command errors out, all of the subsequent commands will NOT execute.

(3) Using ; will execute all commands one after another, regardless of error codes.

Mike

SoFl W
August 14th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Would defining a function work for you? Define your function inside the .bashrc file as with the alias command.

Example:

function mycommand
{
cd /var/log
ls -la
cd /home/username/
ls -la
cd /etc/
ls -la
}