PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Newer document writer on unsupported intrepid

igsen
August 14th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Background: I have an old pc with crt monitor. I experimented with different releases and found out that Intrepid is the most compatible. That is, I can have a resolution greater than 600X800.

Everything works fine except that when I transfer documents from another pc with MS Word Document I am having difficulties converting them into older versions.
Is there any way I can have newer version of Open Office Writer?
I tried upgrading through "intrepid backports main" but I keep getting OOO 2.4.3 version.

snowpine
August 14th, 2010, 01:07 AM
Hi igsen, Intrepid has reached its "end of life" and is no longer supported. You will not get any more updates or security patches through the Ubuntu package manager. My advice is to use a supported release.

You can always install the latest OpenOffice on any release by following the download instructions from http://openoffice.org (obviously this is not officially supported by Canonical).

igsen
August 14th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Snowpine, thank you for the reply.
I have already done what you have suggested but I cancelled the download when I realized that it will take more than an hour of download time. Its not the download time per se but the uncertainty that it will work. You see my internet connection is not that fast and work arounds for conversion of documents are still possible.
I guess, I have to trade in my resolution to conversion woes for a while.

igsen
August 16th, 2010, 02:47 AM
Update: Searching the web, I stumbled upon OSU's opensource packages.
I downloaded and installed this file

OOo_3.2.0_LinuxIntel_install_en-USdeb.tar.gz

I am so glad it worked!

XubuRoxMySox
August 16th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Yaaaaay! I'm glad too! You shouldn't have to trade one problem for another anyway.

OOO is cool and there's always Abiword too, which can open "doc" files and lets me save documents in that format too.

You might find stuff for older versions at getdeb.net (http://getdeb.net) too (don't have to unpack tarballs).

Be sure to mark this [SOLVED]!

-Robin