PDA

View Full Version : [other] good gaming motherboard

pyrofreak99
August 12th, 2010, 02:28 AM
i am building a gaming computer but im on a budget could you guys recommend any good ones that i could dual boot with linux and windows so i can good games like half life halo and portal?

Ozymandias_117
August 12th, 2010, 02:29 AM
i am building a gaming computer but im on a budget could you guys recommend any good ones that i could dual boot with linux and windows so i can good games like half life halo and portal?

I generally pick my other parts first, then just find the cheapest Asus or Gigabyte motherboard that supports what I want for the rest.

pyrofreak99
August 12th, 2010, 02:35 AM
hm sounds like a pretty good idea to me never thought of it like that

ya know the good specs on a good gaming system

Ozymandias_117
August 12th, 2010, 02:38 AM
hm sounds like a pretty good idea to me never thought of it like that

ya know the good specs on a good gaming system

I'm running a Core 2 Quad Q9550 6 Gigs DDR3 RAM and an ATI Radeon HD5770. It seems to be a good gaming rig to me :P

pyrofreak99
August 12th, 2010, 02:41 AM
sweetness sounds like a pretty good rig to me but i have a question though my big atx case has a bunch of ports with like led ports and such in it would i need a special motherboard to run all that or.. im a noob when it comes to motherboards and such

Ozymandias_117
August 12th, 2010, 02:45 AM
sweetness sounds like a pretty good rig to me but i have a question though my big atx case has a bunch of ports with like led ports and such in it would i need a special motherboard to run all that or.. im a noob when it comes to motherboards and such

The LEDs are actually attached to your motherboard...?

pyrofreak99
August 12th, 2010, 03:12 AM
no like for the power buttons in my case there are led plugs to light up other parts of the case and i was wondering would i need a specail motherobard for that or am i just stupid for saying that lol

Dsafire
August 12th, 2010, 03:15 AM
For the case LEDs there is usually a series of lil plugs that all go in together for that. They're pretty standard unless you've installed something that didn't come with the case.

pyrofreak99
August 12th, 2010, 03:31 AM
oh ok then i was planning on installing a light up cpu fan and such inside (im a big led person) and was just curious

Jazzy_Jeff
August 12th, 2010, 03:36 AM
I would get an nvidia video card if I were you. They are better supported under linux and run great under windows.

pyrofreak99
August 12th, 2010, 03:37 AM
ok what would be a good motherboard cpu asus or intel? or does nvidia make one

amanjsingh
August 12th, 2010, 03:38 AM
I would just go for the latest AMD 6 cores with either MSI 890GXM-G65 or other business class boards. Man that 6 core is just brutally fast.

pyrofreak99
August 12th, 2010, 03:46 AM
well ya kno i am on a budget and cant afford a very exspensive one

Ozymandias_117
August 12th, 2010, 04:43 AM
no like for the power buttons in my case there are led plugs to light up other parts of the case and i was wondering would i need a specail motherobard for that or am i just stupid for saying that lol

What kind of case is it? If it's a Dell or HP, it probably has proprietary front panel connectors (What makes the power light, power button, hard drive light and reset button work).

Ozymandias_117
August 12th, 2010, 04:44 AM
well ya kno i am on a budget and cant afford a very exspensive one

Well, If you tell us an idea of a budget, we can probably give you better ideas. :P

And, even though this will likely cause a flame war... Intel CPUs are much, much better than AMD.