PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lenovo T500 won't suspend afte upgrade

onthenarrowpath
August 11th, 2010, 01:23 PM
I'm experiencing an annoying issue since I upgraded from 9.10 to 10.4: when I try to put my Laptop to sleep, the control sign for suspension starts blinking and that's it: the system hangs and I've got to kill it with pressing the power button. Resuming doesn't work either, same symptoms.

Does anybody have an idea why this happens? It seems that noone else has this problem with a Lenovo T500...

Any help greatly appreciated!

sijodk
October 5th, 2010, 09:58 AM
I'm having a very similar problem. I installed 10.4 and everything was fine for a week or so, then suspend stopped working with the same symptoms you describe. I haven't yet found a solution to the problem, though.

onthenarrowpath
October 11th, 2010, 11:53 AM
I've done some more researching about our problem, it seems that other users experience similar, though not identical problems. I've found some suggestions to solve it, but it involves messing with kernel configurations and stuff. Maybe we should just try out 10.10 (which should released now) and hope that the problem thus dissolves as easily as it has evolved. I will probably install 10.10 tomorrow and post my experiences with regard to suspending a T500.
Greetings,
Reto

Update: I haven't been proposed to upgrade so far, which is strange regarding the fact that 10.10 should be out since 10.10. I'll inform you as soon as I've updated

onthenarrowpath
October 23rd, 2010, 12:24 PM
So, I finally got this Meercat installed, and this really solves the problem. I can suspend as much as I want now. And I didn't have any issues except the one described here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1592487) (with a quick and efficient solution by yazid1).

Hope it helps!

PS: I am unsure whether I should mark this thread solved (after all, upgrading to a new version is not really the typical solution to such an issue). Maybe some visiting admin can tell me whether this is appropriate?

Russel_Winder
October 24th, 2010, 07:18 PM
I am having the opposite problem Lucid used to suspend fine on my T500 now I have upgraded to Meerkat, the machine will not suspend. I have to use Debian Squeeze to have a suspendable machine.

The symptoms of the failed suspend are as everyone knows, closing the lid or selecting the suspend menu option causes the "suspend" light to start flashing but it never stops.

bofphile
October 25th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Same problem here on my T500 (2082-7SG). Suspend worked fine on previous version of Ubuntu but not anymore on 10.10.
I found this bug report https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pm-utils/+bug/644223
I hope this will be solved quickly.

onthenarrowpath
October 26th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the link, bofphile. They suggest there that the problem could be solved with kernel versions 2.6.36 upwards (currently, I have installed 2.6.35.22).
And, yeah, the hybernate problem still persists, even on my machine. But strangely I can suspend as much as I want without any problems (I do it a lot every day).
So, I won't mark this thread solved, definitely not.

ghsfr33d0m
October 27th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Same issue as everyone else, on a Lenovo SL410. Attempt to suspend, screen blanks as if suspending, 'suspend light' starts flashing, and it hangs. This laptop had the same issue for 10.04, and it persists to 10.10.

b49P23TIvg
December 9th, 2010, 04:54 PM
This, from bofphile's post, fixed the problem in ubuntu 10.10 on
Lenovo T500 and impedes nothing I do? However, the "restart" option
doesn't (or still doesn't) quite work. When rebooting there's a
timeout dropping into a shell at which point I exit.

# /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
# suggested blacklist to fix lenovo suspend failure. lambertdw
blacklist parport
blacklist parport_pc
blacklist ppdev
blacklist lp
blacklist tpm_tis

kiracofe8
February 9th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Contrary to what everyone says, it seems that "blacklist" does not completely prevent modules from loading. I did exactly as b49P23TIvg did but 'parport' and 'lp' were still being loaded, and still preventing a clean suspend. I also had to remove 'lp' manually from /etc/modules (ubuntu 10.10, T500).

Daniel