PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Anything like DVD Maker in Ubuntu??????????

mmbgobosox
August 10th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I have a question, first of all I just spent all summer falling in love with ubuntu 10.04 after getting rid of windows after being hacked into. I took ALOT of digital images and love digikam, but I really need to know if there's any program like windows DVD Maker with windows 7, that my 92 yr. old mom can veiw the images on her portable DVD player, tried DeVeDe but it wouldn't let me transfer the images, says they aren't a video file, Pease help, I realy DON'T want to reinstall windows, I can do everything I need in Ubuntu, but that, Thanks

JonasDK
August 10th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Try Brasero Disk Burner and create a Data Project. It's at Applications -> Sound & Video or open a terminal and type
sudo braseroSimple program that should to the trick. :)

mmbgobosox
August 10th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Will it play it as a slide show? Showing actual images, or small ones, I used K3B in the past and that's what happened, she couldn't see them and obviously doesn't have the wheels to get to a store to use their photo processing viewer

JonasDK
August 10th, 2010, 09:56 PM
My dvd player at home plays a slideshow from any dvd with pictures on it. I think it's odd that dvd's burned with one program plays as a slideshow and one with the other doesn't. You'll need a program that can really burn the slideshow on the dvd or something, maybe your Windows program puts the pictures in a video that acts as a slideshow I don't know.
But I don't think Brasero can do that! :o

mmbgobosox
August 10th, 2010, 11:17 PM
You're right I just tried it, and put it in my dvd player attached to my TV, and got "disk error", so I know it won't work with my relations out of state since my player is a little more higher end, I hope there is a program in Linux somewhere, be a shame not to be able to share these images, and have to go back to good old unsecure windows:(

jonlemur
September 12th, 2010, 03:01 AM
If you're still looking for a solution, there are a number of slide show makers in Ubuntu. I've used Imagination with a fair amount of success, and Videoporama looks pretty good. Both are available in the repositories. I'm also using PhotoFilmStrip right now, which I found online, but it's not the best at rearranging pictures.

You can use any of those to create a video file of the slide show, then DeVeDe can convert them to a DVD playable format, and I think it saves it as a .iso file. Then you can use Brasero (or I use Nero Linux) to burn it to a DVD that will play in any player.

seventhsamurai
September 12th, 2010, 05:38 AM
There are TONS of them.

The following are good DVD authoring apps that are easy to use.

Devede
DVDStyler
QDVDAuthor
ManDVD
Bombono
Mistelix (for slideshows specifically)
Imagination (slideshow also)

fattyz
May 20th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Well he is asking if there is a drag and drop solution. I am going through this now. I just upgrade to 12.04 and devede won't work. I searched and found it has a bug. I am installing dvdstyler based on your reply in the hopes it works as well as windows dvd maker. I drag and drop in windows dvd maker and get a dvd that plays in all my home players, no conversions, not other programs, no nonsense.

I hope one of these programs on your list will do the same, so far I have not had this experience in Ubuntu.

SPARTAN-118
May 20th, 2012, 05:37 AM
Well he is asking if there is a drag and drop solution. I am going through this now. I just upgrade to 12.04 and devede won't work. I searched and found it has a bug. I am installing dvdstyler based on your reply in the hopes it works as well as windows dvd maker. I drag and drop in windows dvd maker and get a dvd that plays in all my home players, no conversions, not other programs, no nonsense.

I hope one of these programs on your list will do the same, so far I have not had this experience in Ubuntu.

Please don't revive old threads.

Especially ones that are almost 2 years old now.

If you are experiencing a similar problem to those listed above, please create your own thread and post your question there.