PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] sudo: unable to resolve host

Rumpletumbler
August 10th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I've checked the threads here with the same title and none are applicable to whatever I have going on that I can tell.

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 hostname.

is what I have now. The rest is cutout because I have a lot of blocked addresses in the file.

I was initially experiencing sendmail errors in the logs because the hostname couldn't be qualified.

I read somewhere to put a period after the hostname and it would fix this.

It did fix it but I get sudo unable to resolve host now.

/etc/hosts and /etc/hostname both match

This happens as well if I use hostname.desktop or whatever in both files. If I go back to the single name it breaks sendmails ability to get the hostname.

Edit: when I boot I get "init hostname main process (number) terminated status 1

Any ideas?

Brandon Williams
August 11th, 2010, 07:10 PM
When you say "/etc/hosts and /etc/hostname both match", do you mean that you added a dot at the end of the hostname in /etc/hostname, too? In order for sudo to be able to resolve your hostname, there should be a label in /etc/hosts that matches the value in /etc/hostname exactly. When you added the dot to /etc/hosts, you would also have had to add a dot in /etc/hostname. Alternatively, without changing /etc/hostname, you could have done this in /etc/hosts:

127.0.1.1 hostname hostname.

bodhi.zazen
August 11th, 2010, 07:40 PM
You may need to add a line for your hostname.

127.*.*.* is localhost and probably not sufficient.

You probably need at least your LAN and a FQDN

192.168.0.x FQDN

You may need to also add your public IP as well.