PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No sound + "Waiting for sound system to respond"

CanadianPenguin
August 10th, 2010, 04:13 AM
On a brand new Lucid installation, I have no sound and whenever I open sound preferences I get the infamous "Waiting for sound system to respond" error.

I've tried:

reinstalling Pulse and Alsamixer
setting volume to max with Alsa
deleting Pulse folder

I'm pretty pissed off with Lucid right now, and this isn't the only reason. What looked like a magnificent OS is actually full of problems. Even when I installed Netbook 10.04 onto an old laptop it took me solid hours to make it work properly. I should just delete it and replace it with trusty Jaunty which isn't rigged. At least it works.

whit
August 23rd, 2010, 11:01 PM
Yup, I've just been through reinstalling Pulse several times, including deleting all its config files. Now I don't get the "Waiting for sound system to respond" message - I just go to System > Preferences > Sound and see a "Starting Sound" button in my bottom bar for 10 seconds or so, and it goes away. Nothing is logged about why or what's failing. I like Lucid, but Pulse has proved to be a problem for a great many people. Wonder what the best alternative to it is, while staying with Lucid?

arunabathan
September 20th, 2010, 05:37 PM
hi CanadianPenguin,
i got the solution for above thread..
goto-->Application-->ubuntu software centre
now the application is open click maximize of Get Software option
then select Provided by ubuntu-->right side search the word pluseaudio
its display no of application select pulse volume control to install and all related to pulse audio ..then open system-->preferences-->sound

MARK IF PROBLEM SOLVED