PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Slow internet speeds

hellolife
August 10th, 2010, 01:16 AM
I'm sorry if this is a tired thread-- I've had Ubuntu for a while but don't use the computer much so I haven't really learned what I need to know.

I have absolutely horrible internet speeds and even worse download speed.
http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx194/samhoperain/Screenshot.png

I am on an Asus EEE PC 1005HA. I'm currently running Lucid Lynx and its version of netbook remix (Utility, I believe).

I tried installing Namebench but I'm not savvy enough to install it, apparently. Is there any other approach to boost my speeds?

Thanks!

Elmer Fudd
August 10th, 2010, 01:39 AM
I'm sorry if this is a tired thread-- I've had Ubuntu for a while but don't use the computer much so I haven't really learned what I need to know.

I have absolutely horrible internet speeds and even worse download speed.
http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx194/samhoperain/Screenshot.png

I am on an Asus EEE PC 1005HA. I'm currently running Lucid Lynx and its version of netbook remix (Utility, I believe).

I tried installing Namebench but I'm not savvy enough to install it, apparently. Is there any other approach to boost my speeds?

Thanks!

Your upload and latency cirtainly seem deficient.

I guess that since you are posting this here that you believe the problem is Ubuntu/linux related.

Do you get higher speed running Windows.

What speeds are you paying for/ expecting from your service

DSL or CABLE?

Wired or wireless connection to your router.

Make and model number of router

jtarin
August 10th, 2010, 01:46 AM
Is this a dual boot with Windows? What is your normal speed? How long has this behavior exhibited itself?
Post results from the command
ifconfig -a

TriBlox6432
August 10th, 2010, 01:47 AM
If you can, go to speedtest.net and post the output here. I just wanna see what speeds you're dealing with. :p

jtarin
August 10th, 2010, 01:50 AM
If you can, go to speedtest.net and post the output here. I just wanna see what speeds you're dealing with. :p
Did you miss the illustration in his first post????;)

linux18
August 10th, 2010, 01:57 AM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/909126639.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

I'm not much better, but I have 3 servers so I don't complain

hellolife
August 10th, 2010, 02:20 AM
Your upload and latency cirtainly seem deficient.

I guess that since you are posting this here that you believe the problem is Ubuntu/linux related.

Do you get higher speed running Windows.

What speeds are you paying for/ expecting from your service

DSL or CABLE?

Wired or wireless connection to your router.

Make and model number of router

I guess I should've been a bit more clear about a few things (sorry :???:)
I don't run windows. I've been using Mac/Ubuntu for a while now. This is not a dual boot or partition- just Ubuntu.
I have the "essential" package with Cox/Comcast (cable), which states that I should receive up to 3 mbps (so I have next to the slowest package), but I had this same package living somewhere else and using Karmic and the internet speeds seemed to be better and the downloading was definitely better.

It's a wireless router and modem in one, called the Motorola SURFboard.

I'm not sure if it's Lucid Lynx or the area.

I'm hoping it's not Lucid as I like it much more than Karmic.

hellolife
August 10th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Is this a dual boot with Windows? What is your normal speed? How long has this behavior exhibited itself?
Post results from the command
ifconfig -a

Nope, not a dual boot. Just Ubuntu. I'm not sure what my normal speed is, I just know it was definitely faster than this. It's been doing this I'd say for a couple of weeks at least.

Results:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr e0:cb:4e:1b:9b:a4
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Interrupt:28

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:5396 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:5396 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:429621 (429.6 KB) TX bytes:429621 (429.6 KB)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:25:d3:e5:19:7c
inet addr:192.168.0.10 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::225:d3ff:fee5:197c/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:1478984 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:1154825 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:1506375647 (1.5 GB) TX bytes:395930112 (395.9 MB)

Elmer Fudd
August 10th, 2010, 02:35 AM
I guess I should've been a bit more clear about a few things (sorry :???:)
I don't run windows. I've been using Mac/Ubuntu for a while now. This is not a dual boot or partition- just Ubuntu.
I have the "essential" package with Cox/Comcast (cable), which states that I should receive up to 3 mbps (so I have next to the slowest package), but I had this same package living somewhere else and using Karmic and the internet speeds seemed to be better and the downloading was definitely better.

It's a wireless router and modem in one, called the Motorola SURFboard.

I'm not sure if it's Lucid Lynx or the area.

I'm hoping it's not Lucid as I like it much more than Karmic.

With what you say/show here, I would be much more suspicious of the quality of your service than Lucid.

Can you connect with a ethernet cable to the Surfboard to eliminate any wireless issues or have a friend try a wintel laptop to see any differences?

Looks like your download speeds are what you are paying for.

August 10th, 2010, 02:42 AM
mine isn't quite the best either:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/909160889.png
but im happy with it, gets what i need to do fairly quick

hellolife
August 10th, 2010, 02:49 AM
With what you say/show here, I would be much more suspicious of the quality of your service than Lucid.

Can you connect with a ethernet cable to the Surfboard to eliminate any wireless issues or have a friend try a wintel laptop to see any differences?

Looks like your download speeds are what you are paying for.

I've already tried connecting with an ethernet and it seems to be pretty much the same.
I realise that's what my service provider is saying that's the max I'll get, I've just gotten better than this with the same package/rate.

I thought there might be some possible tweak or slight fix to give it a boost?

Elmer Fudd
August 10th, 2010, 05:16 AM
I've already tried connecting with an ethernet and it seems to be pretty much the same.
I realise that's what my service provider is saying that's the max I'll get, I've just gotten better than this with the same package/rate.

I thought there might be some possible tweak or slight fix to give it a boost?

Just want to make sure that I understand:
You are paying for (the classic marketing amount of) "up to 3.0" and you are getting 2.64 MB/s. So the download speed is as expected.

The latency and upload are ugly.

Since it is a Cable pipe the time of day (kids getting home in the neighborhood) can affect available bandwidth.

Anyway to answer your question, there are ways to tune your TCP/IP communication with the internet, but I suspect the benefits will not be substantial.

check out:
http://fasterdata.es.net/TCP-tuning/linux.html

and don't forget to post your results.

jtarin
August 10th, 2010, 09:01 AM
You get what you pay for...they give you the minimum...and that's all they will guarantee. Anything above that is hype.

hellolife
August 10th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Just want to make sure that I understand:
You are paying for (the classic marketing amount of) "up to 3.0" and you are getting 2.64 MB/s. So the download speed is as expected.

The latency and upload are ugly.

Since it is a Cable pipe the time of day (kids getting home in the neighborhood) can affect available bandwidth.

Anyway to answer your question, there are ways to tune your TCP/IP communication with the internet, but I suspect the benefits will not be substantial.

check out:
http://fasterdata.es.net/TCP-tuning/linux.html

and don't forget to post your results.

Yes, I know the download speed is expected. If I had the money I would pay for the upgrade, but I don't. So this is what I'm stuck with.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions. I will try these out to the best of my ability (or have someone help me) and respond with my results as soon as I can (it may take me a little while).

Thank you!

hellolife
August 13th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Okay, so I took a different route than explained to me here.

I decided to try a system restore to Lucid Lynx (not Unity or Karmic's netbook remix) and it seems to have improved things slightly.

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx194/samhoperain/speedtest.png

Also, upon doing some research, I started using Deluge and it seems to work much better than Transmission (download speeds have been around 200-300 kb/s which is much better than the 20 kb/s I was getting).
I'm going to have someone help me with the other suggestions as I said I'm still not too savvy with this. I'll post as soon as we figure it out.

Thank you.