PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Downgrading to hardy or jaunty

completely new
August 9th, 2010, 11:39 PM
I was having lots of issues with both karmic and lucid, lots of stuff not working properly or not working at all, so I think I need to try something else. Going back to windows is not an option (atm, I plan a dual-boot system at the future), so I was thinking about a downgrade until the new release. Out of older releases, I see that both hardy and jaunty are still supported, and I guess the newer the better, however before I do it, I thought I should get some opinion on this idea. :)

bodhi.zazen
August 9th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Easiest way to "downgrade" is to back up your data and re-install.

completely new
August 10th, 2010, 12:24 PM
I know how to do it, I was more thinking on tips of how good/bad jaunty and hardy are and if I'm going to be left with something worse than I already have.

Sylos
August 10th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Hello there.
Problems will likely depend on the hardware you have and the applications you wish to run.

Personally, I found that Hardy has been the most stable for me. When I upgraded to Karmic I found it to be slower with problems getting the sound to work, visual effects ruining my window buttons etc. That being said I have got a system with Karmic that runs acceptably and does what I want. The problem with regressing back to Hardy would be the support running out in the not too distant future and the potential lack of new features etc.

As for Jaunty I cant comment as I havent tried it.

Doubt that helps but its my experience.

mal
August 10th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Have you thought about trying a newer kernel to see if it fixes some of the problems you are having with lucid? I upgraded to kernel 2.6.35 using the repository at ppa:kernel-ppa/ppa and it seems to perform well for me.

Mal

TBABill
August 10th, 2010, 01:11 PM
If Ubuntu is causing problems in more than one version (probably just hardware issues), what about another distro that is not based on Ubuntu, or even one not based on Debian? There are other great ones out there. PCLinuxOS 2010 is my favorite non-Ubuntu distro and it flies. All the desktop environments are available. OpenSUSE was pretty good on my hardware as well. You can run PCLinuxOS from the Live CD to see what you think. Not sure if OpenSUSE 11.3 can be or not (haven't tried it yet).

There are many other distros people can recommend. It's an option that may keep you using a more current kernel, unless the newer kernels are why your hardware may not be running as well as expected. In that case, reverting may be the best choice.

muteXe
August 10th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Hardy was the most stable and reliable for me as well. Although i must say i'm liking lucid a lot too. The ones in between these two were the most shockingingly bad OSs i've ever had the misfortune to use, in my opinion.

bodhi.zazen
August 10th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I know how to do it, I was more thinking on tips of how good/bad jaunty and hardy are and if I'm going to be left with something worse than I already have.

That is what live CD are for, testing your hardware before you install.

scottuss
August 10th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I'd certainly go with Hardy, for 2 reasons.

1) It's more stable (I found, and many others like me)

2) It will be supported until next year (Jaunty support ends in October of this year)

completely new
August 12th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies. :) I'm going to give hardy a shot and if I'm still having trouble, some other distro.

Kellemora
August 14th, 2010, 02:51 AM
Hi Completely New

If you are trying 10.04 the current LTS release, moving BACK to Hardy, the last LTS release 8.04, I consider that an UPGRADE, since moving to Lucid 10.04 is about the worst DOWNGRADE Ubuntu has ever experienced.

We have STILL not been able to get 10.04 to run on half of our machines here! 8.04 runs PERFECTLY on ALL of them! No problems, no glitches!

Ubuntu 8.04 is what got me back interested in GNU/Linux, it was virtually turn-key and works perfectly. So I hate to keep talking down 10.04, but it really IS a disaster and should hit the circular file.
I'm running 8.04 - 64 bit by the way, on this computer. All the rest are using 32 bit. I've never had a problem other than Flash does not have a 64 bit version in their latest upgrade and many places have mistakenly gone to it.

TTUL
Gary

completely new
August 14th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Well, it turns out it doesn't work perfectly. :( It doesn't recognize the usb stick I used to back up my data, and now I can't access it. How do I make the stupid thing recognize it? Please help. Also, I can't install acetoneiso, it's not in Synaptic, is there a way to install it, or some other program that can mount mdf and all other images?