PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] T'bird locked up

wgilbert5
August 9th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Ok, folks, I thought I had this problem behind me as it hasn't happened in a few months now but I guess not. My Thunderbird mail client is locked up tight and I have tried everything my feeble little mind has thought of to unlock it; have accomplished exactly zero in the unlock department. I am running Ubuntu Linux on a 64 MB machine in 32 MB mode. I have this problem on both my machines with Ubuntu 9.10 and Ubuntu 10.4. When the machine locks in 9.10 it just stops working in whatever program I happen to be running at the time. When it stops working in 10.4 it runs some script and then goes into flashing vertcial bar line, black and white, at the top while leaving the rest of the screen dark. The rest of the programs in the 9.10 mode (Firefox, etc.) seem to work just fine. I can't get back into OS in 10.4 to try running any other programs. Since I installed something to do with Java the other day, (sorry, can't remember what it was), I've had a vertical black mark, 1/2 inch long in the center of my mail screen in Thunderbird. There you have it in a nutshell. Can anyone help or direct me to help in this dilemma? It would save what little hair I have left on my head.;)

gdonwallace
August 9th, 2010, 06:48 PM
My first thought would be add-ons for Tbird.

I would try removing the last add-on you installed. You may have to do this through the command line. Look in the /home/<user> folder or the /usr/bin or /usr/share for a thunderbird or mozilla folder. Under those should be a directory for Tbird. The add-ons will be in those folders. Try deleting whatever last one you installed and see if that fixes the problem.

spillage2
August 10th, 2010, 12:57 PM
After having read a recent review on thunderbird I have moved over to using claw. It seem thunderbird is getting more like the xmas turkey (way to fat) and eating up your resources for no reason.

Claw can be installed via the software centre and so far I am impressed not dupe downloads cleaned out the dupes I had after I moved my mail from thunderbird.

The set up for rules takes a small amount of getting used to but all good.

Spill.