PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] toshiba a20-s103 no audio

romariolele
August 9th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I have installed ubuntu 10.04 on my old notebook Toshiba and i have no audio sound.

attached script of alsa.

please help me.

thank you

simosx
August 9th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I have installed ubuntu 10.04 on my old notebook Toshiba and i have no audio sound.

attached script of alsa.

please help me.

thank you

You have Ubuntu 10.04.1. Did you upgrade Alsa yourself to 1.0.23? Just checking, because you have Alsa driver 1.0.23 but Alsa Lib 1.0.22. Not sure what are the defaults in 10.4.1.

The last part of the alsa-info output says

[ 31.392115] ALSA ac97_codec.c:2082: AC'97 1 does not respond - RESET
[ 31.408122] ALSA ac97_codec.c:2091: AC'97 1 access is not valid [0xffffffff], removing mixer.
[ 31.408142] ALSA ali5451.c:1868: ali mixer 1 creating error.

In addition, the earlier messages show that several parts of the soundcard have not been detected properly.

Your chipset is ALI5451.
Your first option would be to follow the discussion at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1043568 and try to manually detect the soundcard variant, specifying possible options.
It's possible that if you specify the correct 'model', the card will get properly detected.

To test if you get sound (try this now!), use the command

aplay -D default /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Rear_Left.wav

This command bypasses PulseAudio so it should show if Alsa works; if it does not work, set a different 'model' from above and try again.

romariolele
August 9th, 2010, 05:50 PM
You have Ubuntu 10.04.1. Did you upgrade Alsa yourself to 1.0.23? Just checking, because you have Alsa driver 1.0.23 but Alsa Lib 1.0.22. Not sure what are the defaults in 10.4.1.

The last part of the alsa-info output says

[ 31.392115] ALSA ac97_codec.c:2082: AC'97 1 does not respond - RESET
[ 31.408122] ALSA ac97_codec.c:2091: AC'97 1 access is not valid [0xffffffff], removing mixer.
[ 31.408142] ALSA ali5451.c:1868: ali mixer 1 creating error.

In addition, the earlier messages show that several parts of the soundcard have not been detected properly.

Your chipset is ALI5451.
Your first option would be to follow the discussion at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1043568 and try to manually detect the soundcard variant, specifying possible options.
It's possible that if you specify the correct 'model', the card will get properly detected.

To test if you get sound (try this now!), use the command

aplay -D default /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Rear_Left.wav

This command bypasses PulseAudio so it should show if Alsa works; if it does not work, set a different 'model' from above and try again.

upgrade to alsa lib 1.023 result: no sound

in system, preference, sound hardware list of sound card (see attached) changed but no sound

simosx
August 9th, 2010, 06:35 PM
See also http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-ali5451
in case you can add any options.

lidex
August 10th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Are you still getting those errors:

dmesg | grep -C1 -E 'ALSA|HDA|HDMI|sound|hda.codec|hda.intel'
What's going on in alsamixer/gnome-alsamixer:
Alsamixer
Using a Terminal="Applications->Accessories->Terminal"

alsamixer
Press <F6> to select the correct soundcard.
Press <F3> to show playback levels. <F4> selects capture levels [or use <Tab>]
Use the left/right arrow keys to select and up/down arrow keys to change levels. <M> to mute/unmute.

Gnome-alsamixer
Using Alt+F2 run dialog

gnome-alsamixer
Use 'Edit -> Sound Card Properties' menu to enable elements.
Soundcard tab to select / adjust levels.
To install:

sudo apt-get install gnome-alsamixer

romariolele
August 10th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Are you still getting those errors:

dmesg | grep -C1 -E 'ALSA|HDA|HDMI|sound|hda.codec|hda.intel'What's going on in alsamixer/gnome-alsamixer:
Alsamixer
Using a Terminal="Applications->Accessories->Terminal"

alsamixer Press <F6> to select the correct soundcard.
Press <F3> to show playback levels. <F4> selects capture levels [or use <Tab>]
Use the left/right arrow keys to select and up/down arrow keys to change levels. <M> to mute/unmute.

Gnome-alsamixer
Using Alt+F2 run dialog

gnome-alsamixer Use 'Edit -> Sound Card Properties' menu to enable elements.
Soundcard tab to select / adjust levels.
To install:

sudo apt-get install gnome-alsamixer

Attached screeshot alsamixer and gnome alsamixer

lidex
August 11th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Try disabling 'External Amplifier' in gnome-alsamixer. You may want to toggle some of the other options there as well.

romariolele
August 11th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Try disabling 'External Amplifier' in gnome-alsamixer. You may want to toggle some of the other options there as well.

done, nothing

simosx
August 11th, 2010, 12:03 PM
done, nothing

Alsa 1.0.23 was released in April 2010. Could you give a try for Alsa snapshot (very latest) from http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Download Note the link to snapshot.
Finally, produce a fresh alsa-info.sh with this snapshot enabled. We want to see whether the kernel messages are gone.