PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] VLC mp3 glitches on first secnds of playback

FreedomOverdose
August 8th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Hello

On almost each mp3 file I try to play, VLC will "lag" during the first seconds. There may be some screeching noise. It looks like vlc can't keep up with the bitrate, and it "skips" some bits.

This doesn't happen with totem (the default media player). Any ideas?

tia :)

FreedomOverdose
August 10th, 2010, 02:40 AM
anyone please? I'd really like to use VLC, but this is really annoying... :(

FreedomOverdose
August 14th, 2010, 05:30 PM
anyone pls? :(

FreedomOverdose
August 22nd, 2010, 07:13 PM
hmm looks like some cache issue. it happens only the first time when I play a file, its ok the second+ time

FreedomOverdose
August 26th, 2010, 06:27 PM
now this is also happening on my pc, and on my laptop, so it should be a general problem.. :(
cmon ppl :(

wolfdale
August 30th, 2010, 05:33 AM
I have also noticed that VLC will also sound glitch on mp4 videos during startup however Gnome movie player will start without any sound glitches. I played around with cache sizes and drop frame rates cannot get rid of the glitch. The glitch is more pronounce when switching from video to video.

FreedomOverdose
August 30th, 2010, 11:04 AM
I have also noticed that VLC will also sound glitch on mp4 videos during startup however Gnome movie player will start without any sound glitches. I played around with cache sizes and drop frame rates cannot get rid of the glitch. The glitch is more pronounce when switching from video to video.
so it's definitely cache... anyhow, the latest version of vlc isn't on the repos, so we have to wait for maverick to test it with the latest vlc

luigi_mb
August 31st, 2010, 12:41 AM
Actually there is a new PPA for vlc, and it carries v1.1.4. See

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/08/install-vlc-114-in-ubuntu-via-new-ppa.html#more

I added the PPA and then upgraded my vlc to v1.1.4.

I don't know if this peculiar to my Lucid installation, but when I used Synaptic to upgrade vlc there was an error about vlc itself and vlc-plugin-notify. However a second call to Synaptic corrected the problem. It works perfectly well.

/luigi

andrew.46
August 31st, 2010, 04:11 AM
Hi FreedomOverdose,

I will admit that I build my own vlc under Lucid Lynx but I have not ever experienced this issue. In fact I have just tested it now by switching from file to file, both mp3s and mp4s with varying codecs, all ran flawlessly throughout and in particular there were no sound glitches on startup. I assume you are using the repository vlc?

Andrew

roddie
September 22nd, 2010, 12:13 PM
I've upgraded to VLC 1.1.4 and am still having the same problem.

Claus7
October 8th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Hello,

have the same problem. The sound is getting better, while the file plays though till it seems to be fine. Such a mysterious bug!

Version of vlc as mentioned, tested on avi files, maverick.

edit: same problem with kaffeine, no problem with mplayer

edit2: after a fresh install of a 64bit version of maverick, vlc's problem vanished

Regards!

kriukov
December 4th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I have exactly the same problem with VLC on 10.04. I had a similar problem (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=842875) on 8.04 and it was solved by changing the output modules. Any suggestions about the current problem?

kriukov
January 23rd, 2011, 04:13 AM
Bump...

satosh
August 8th, 2011, 07:17 PM
This happens with me too.
VLC 1.1.9 on Natty 64 bit.

When next track on playlist is starting, there are two or three glitches before it runs smoothly.

Have only tried with music so far but seems I always have to adjust audio by about -250ms to get in sync when watching movies.

Have tried changing the output modules with no luck.

mc4man
August 8th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Yuo can try either of the 2 methods mentioned here. (for both stutter and de-sync

I prefer the latter, using alsa instead of pulse. To do so properly you must change the output module AND specify the device.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11126930#post11126930

satosh
August 9th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Thanks! Seems to fix the glitches.

Although alsamixer gives me "this sound device does not have any controls". But I get by.

Again, thank you!

kriukov
March 5th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Finally solved - by upgrading to VLC to 1.1.13 from a third-party repository.