PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mozilla Firefox & Chrome: Youtube: An error occured, please try again later.

feitan
August 7th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Hi all,

I am totally new here and this is absolutely my first post since I had googled around and really couldn't find the fix. I apologise should I posted this at the wrong section. Kindly advise ;)

As you can see, I am using Mozilla Firefox / Chrome in my case and I couldn't play any video in ANY sites. Tested on youtube.com, facebook.com and other sites. Ubuntu version: 10.04.

But I could play videos downloaded from youtube using Movie Player and I could even play youtube video from Minitube, no issue. The only issue is my web browser.

Before this, I used Namoroka, a beta thingy for Firefox, and it works really fine. After the update, the Namoroka changed to Firefox again and there comes the issue.

The error message from YouTube: An error occurred, please try again later.

This is what I had done:
1) Clear all cache / history on Firefox + Chrome
2) Updated flash player to the latest version

Kindly advise me of what to do ^_^

Thank you very much for the time :popcorn:

lovinglinux
August 7th, 2010, 07:20 AM
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/161939/

feitan
August 7th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Dear lovinglinux,

Thank you very much ^_^ This solves the case instantly\\:D/

Have a nice day.

lovinglinux
August 7th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Dear lovinglinux,

Thank you very much ^_^ This solves the case instantly\\:D/

Have a nice day.

You are welcome. ;)

feitan
August 11th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Hi all,

The issue came back again 2 days ago >_<"
Any permanent fix for the issue?

lovinglinux
August 11th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Hi all,

The issue came back again 2 days ago >_<"
Any permanent fix for the issue?

Please provide the output of the following commands and instructions. This will make sure I will have a good understanding of your Firefox and Flash installations, so I don't need to guess what might be happening to your system:

1 - Flash Version

Type about:config in Firefox address bar, then type plugin.expose_full_path in the filter, then double-click the same item in the results to make it true. Then type about:plugins in the address bar, find Shockwave Flash, copy the corresponding Path and Version and paste here. it should look lie the image below:

http://tinyurl.com/287j7on

2 - Firefox version and architecture

To find Firefox version and architecture, click "Help >> About Mozilla Firefox" in the menu. The info will be located at the bottom of the info dialog:

http://tinyurl.com/26b85o2

3 - System Info

Execute the following commands then copy the generated file, named firefox-report.txt from your Desktop and upload it here or paste the contents.

To execute those commands, select the entire content below, then go to "Applications >> Accessories >> Terminal" and click the terminal with the middle-mouse button.

echo 'Ubuntu Architecture' > ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
echo '' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
uname -a >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
echo 'Ubuntu Version' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
cat /etc/lsb-release >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
echo 'Firefox Packages' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
dpkg --get-selections | grep 'firefox*' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
echo 'Firefox binaries' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
which firefox >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
file /usr/bin/firefox >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
file /usr/local/bin/firefox >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
file /opt/firefox/firefox >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
echo 'Firefox divertion' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
file /usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
echo 'Sources' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
echo 'Flash packages' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
dpkg --get-selections | grep 'flash*' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
echo 'Plugin locations' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
locate libflashplayer.so >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
locate flashplugin-alternative.so >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
echo 'Flash symlinks' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
file /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/libflashplayer.so >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
file /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
file /etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
file /var/lib/flashplugin-installer/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
firefox ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt

feitan
August 11th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Dear lovinglinux,

Thank you very much for the support. The information is as attached. The screenshot for the second request doesn't seem to be helpful :(
Hoping to hear from you soon ^_^

Thanks.

Edit: Didn't realise I could expand the window for second request XD~~~ Here, as per attached ;)

lovinglinux
August 11th, 2010, 11:56 AM
The problem is that you have gnash installed.

Run FLASH-AID to fix this.

feitan
August 11th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Dear lovinglinux,

Thank you for the reply :)
But the fix doesn't seems to work >.<"

Kindly advise, thanks

edit: haaa...After re-reading your reply, I removed gnash and it works like a charm ^_^ Thank you very much for the intel, lovinglinux ^_^

lovinglinux
August 11th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Dear lovinglinux,

Thank you for the reply :)
But the fix doesn't seems to work >.<"

Kindly advise, thanks

edit: haaa...After re-reading your reply, I removed gnash and it works like a charm ^_^ Thank you very much for the intel, lovinglinux ^_^

You are welcome.

himanshu1988
January 24th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Linux himanshu-VGN-FZ15G 2.6.35-22-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Sun Sep 19 20:34:50 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

Ubuntu Version

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=maverick
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 10.10"

Firefox Packages

firefox install
firefox-branding install
firefox-gnome-support install

Firefox binaries

/usr/bin/firefox
/usr/bin/firefox: symbolic link to `../lib/firefox-3.6.13/firefox.sh'
/usr/local/bin/firefox: ERROR: cannot open `/usr/local/bin/firefox' (No such file or directory)
/opt/firefox/firefox: ERROR: cannot open `/opt/firefox/firefox' (No such file or directory)

Firefox divertion

/usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu: ERROR: cannot open `/usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu' (No such file or directory)

Sources

Flash packages

flashplugin-installer install
flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound install

Plugin locations

Flash symlinks

/usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/libflashplayer.so: ERROR: cannot open `/usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/libflashplayer.so' (No such file or directory)
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so: symbolic link to `/etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin'
/etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin: symbolic link to `/usr/lib/gnash/libgnashplugin.so'
/var/lib/flashplugin-installer/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so: ERROR: cannot open `/var/lib/flashplugin-installer/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so' (No such file or directory)

Temüjin
January 24th, 2011, 06:20 PM
@himanshu1988: You have gnash installed and no Adobe Flash. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flash-aid/

treacl
March 12th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Me, too! Waahh. Any help very much appreciated.

Running Lucid 10.04.1 64-bit. In Firefox, the Adobe flash test at http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ works fine, but YouTube generates "An error occurred. Please try again later." In Chromium, YouTube plays just fine.

I've run Flash-Aid. It (said that it) installed an updated version of Flash, but it still doesn't work.

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.2.15) Gecko/20110303 Ubuntu/10.04 (lucid) Firefox/3.6.15

Shockwave Flash section from about:plugins:
File: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.soVersion: Shockwave Flash 10.3 d162 MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf Yes application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player spl Yes
Output of your script:
Ubuntu Architecture

Linux laptop 2.6.32-29-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP Fri Feb 11 20:52:10 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Ubuntu Version

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=lucid
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS"

Firefox Packages

firefox install
firefox-branding install

Firefox binaries

/usr/bin/firefox
/usr/bin/firefox: symbolic link to `../lib/firefox-3.6.15/firefox.sh'
/usr/local/bin/firefox: ERROR: cannot open `/usr/local/bin/firefox' (No such file or directory)
/opt/firefox/firefox: ERROR: cannot open `/opt/firefox/firefox' (No such file or directory)

Firefox divertion

/usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu: ERROR: cannot open `/usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu' (No such file or directory)

Sources

google-earth.list
google-earth.list.save
kernel-ppa-ppa-lucid.list
kernel-ppa-ppa-lucid.list.save
kilian-f.lux-lucid.list
kilian-f.lux-lucid.list.save

Flash packages

Plugin locations

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

Flash symlinks

/usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/libflashplayer.so: symbolic link to `/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so'
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so: ERROR: cannot open `/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so' (No such file or directory)
/etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin: ERROR: cannot open `/etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin' (No such file or directory)
/var/lib/flashplugin-installer/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so: ERROR: cannot open `/var/lib/flashplugin-installer/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so' (No such file or directory)

justvano
March 12th, 2011, 05:27 AM
This fix worked well for me. Thanks lovinglinux.

lovinglinux
March 12th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Me, too! Waahh. Any help very much appreciated.

Running Lucid 10.04.1 64-bit. In Firefox, the Adobe flash test at http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ works fine, but YouTube generates "An error occurred. Please try again later." In Chromium, YouTube plays just fine.

I've run Flash-Aid. It (said that it) installed an updated version of Flash, but it still doesn't work.

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.2.15) Gecko/20110303 Ubuntu/10.04 (lucid) Firefox/3.6.15

Shockwave Flash section from about:plugins:
File: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.soVersion: Shockwave Flash 10.3 d162 MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf Yes application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player spl Yes
Output of your script:
Ubuntu Architecture

Linux laptop 2.6.32-29-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP Fri Feb 11 20:52:10 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Ubuntu Version

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=lucid
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS"

Firefox Packages

firefox install
firefox-branding install

Firefox binaries

/usr/bin/firefox
/usr/bin/firefox: symbolic link to `../lib/firefox-3.6.15/firefox.sh'

Firefox divertion

Sources

google-earth.list
google-earth.list.save
kernel-ppa-ppa-lucid.list
kernel-ppa-ppa-lucid.list.save
kilian-f.lux-lucid.list
kilian-f.lux-lucid.list.save

Flash packages

Plugin locations

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

Flash symlinks

/usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/libflashplayer.so: symbolic link to `/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so'
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so: ERROR: cannot open `/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so' (No such file or directory)
/etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin: ERROR: cannot open `/etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin' (No such file or directory)

Try deleting cookies and the browser cache.

Also try http://www.youtube-nocookie.com and report if it works there.

treacl
March 13th, 2011, 02:15 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Neither clearing cookies/cache nor youtube-nocookie.com works. Both generate the "An error has occurred. Please try again later." message. Any other ideas?

lovinglinux
March 13th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Neither clearing cookies/cache nor youtube-nocookie.com works. Both generate the "An error has occurred. Please try again later." message. Any other ideas?

Try a new Firefox profile.

lovinglinux
March 13th, 2011, 09:47 AM

Also try to disable hardware acceleration in flash preferences.

You are not alone. Check the discussion at http://www.webgapps.org/addons/flash-aid

muckk
March 27th, 2011, 03:46 PM
hey,
i installed ubuntu 2 days ago. today i installed the gstreamer plugin and since then i get the "an error has occurred" message on youtube. what i already tried is removing gstreamer, reinstall flash and flashaid, didn't fix the error. then i created a new profile which works on youtube. anyone has an idea how i can fix my old profile? cause i'm using it in ubuntu and windows.

firefox 4
flash plugin:
File: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
Version: Shockwave Flash 10.3 d162 MIME Type Description Suffixes application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player spl

Ubuntu Architecture

Linux vlad 2.6.35-28-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 1 14:39:03 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Ubuntu Version

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=maverick
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 10.10"

Firefox Packages

firefox install
firefox-branding install

Firefox binaries

/usr/bin/firefox
/usr/bin/firefox: symbolic link to `../lib/firefox-4.0/firefox.sh'

Firefox divertion

Sources

canonical-partner-maverick.list
dropbox.list
mozillateam-firefox-stable-maverick.list

Flash packages

Plugin locations

/usr/lib/firefox/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so
/usr/lib/xulrunner-addons/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so

Flash symlinks

lovinglinux
March 27th, 2011, 06:46 PM
See *******NOTE FOR USERS EXPERIENCING ISSUES WITH YOUTUBE******* in Flash-Aid page comments.

http://www.webgapps.org/addons/flash-aid

muckk
March 27th, 2011, 07:00 PM
See *******NOTE FOR USERS EXPERIENCING ISSUES WITH YOUTUBE******* in Flash-Aid page comments.

http://www.webgapps.org/addons/flash-aid
thank you.
in the meantime i set up a new profile, hope this one won't break too.

aalunga
March 28th, 2011, 06:38 AM

Sir
Thank you very much for the solution...
I was searching for a solution for a long time!!
:popcorn:

lovinglinux
March 29th, 2011, 04:01 AM
Sir
Thank you very much for the solution...
I was searching for a solution for a long time!!
:popcorn:

You are welcome.

justincwatt
July 22nd, 2012, 05:07 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I was having this problem using Google's new "Play" (https://play.google.com/) service to watch a video on demand. I had the latest Firefox 14.0.1, the latest Flash, I did not have Gnash installed, but still, no beans. I kept getting the message "An error occurred. Please try again later." FlashAid did not help either. :(

I wrote to Google support and actually got a helpful response back! They sent me to this support page (which I never found in my Google searches):

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/flash-player-11-problems-playing.html

Which had me run the following commands, and at least according to the test on the Adobe support page, I was able to play a "protected" video. Grr DRM.

sudo apt-get install hal
cd ~/.adobe/Flash_Player
rm -rf NativeCache AssetCache APSPrivateData2

I haven't bought another Google Play video for purchase to confirm, but when I do, I'll update this thread.

vasa1
July 22nd, 2012, 06:21 PM
http://askubuntu.com/questions/166760/how-do-i-play-movies-on-google-play

What's going on?