PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What do I need to watch these vids?

kingme23
August 6th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Im fairly new to linux. I know how it works but I am not familiar with all the "codecs" and such. What do I need to install to be able to watch videos on bing.com? I know you can click on the video, but if you hover over the videos in the search results it will play clips of the video....basically I am asking what I need to install to make the clips play when I hover over a video (I've already installed the audio and video codecs that were suggested to me). thanks.

Zeike
August 6th, 2010, 11:04 PM
If these videos are flash, you should be able to get them to work by installing the 'flashplugin-installer' package.

If these videos are silverlight, which I suspect they might be, because they're on bing, your best bet is to use the moonlight plugin. I think you can install this with the 'moonlight-plugin-core' and 'moonlight-plugin-mozilla' packages.

kingme23
August 7th, 2010, 02:15 AM
Hi, I already had flash installed and took your advice and installed moonlight. Unfortunately I still can't get the clips to work, thank you for your help though. Does anyone have a clue what I'm talking about?

ron999
August 7th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Does anyone have a clue what I'm talking about?

Post a link.

mc4man
August 7th, 2010, 02:32 AM
Does anyone have a clue what I'm talking about?

Yeah - the little video thumbnails

Just did a new install of maverick and other than building mplayer haven't done anything.
For that site installed the adobe flash player and they work fine - the only exception is some on main page upper right.
Other than that they all work w/ mouseover.

Are you 32 or 64 bit ? (32 bit install here

Ex. page
http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/ballgirl-makes-amazing-catch/1jrtgoncq

kingme23
August 7th, 2010, 02:56 AM
I am 64 bit.

Here's what I mean:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=adrian+peterson&go=&form=QBVR&qs=n&sk=&sc=8-15

When you hover over each of the videos it should play short clips of the video, but I can't get that to work, it just stutters and does nothing. I already have all the flash and video codecs installed, tried installing moonlight plugin and still doesn't work.

mc4man
August 7th, 2010, 03:08 AM
When you hover over each of the videos ....

Those (ones that are off site) don't work here either - only the ones that are on the bing site work.
(though most of the off site videos work themselves

wilee-nilee
August 7th, 2010, 03:09 AM
I couldn't get a hulu video to play but a youtube link worked, various media links overall.

Have you installed the ubuntu restricted extras in synaptic and added libdvdcss2 and w32 from medibuntu.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

You would install the restricted extras per your desktop, ie Kubuntu or Xubuntu.

mc4man
August 7th, 2010, 03:20 AM
Booted to a karmic install and the thumb's from your link all work fine (was on maverick previously.)
If I come across the difference will let you know.
Edit: they also don't work on lucid

kingme23
August 7th, 2010, 03:34 AM
Ah, I'm running Lucid oh well. It's not a huge deal but it would have been a nice thing to have. Thanks guys.