PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] dual monitor questions ... ...

techno-mole
August 5th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Hello.

I have just hooked a second monitor up to my graphics card, so now I have 2, the main running from the dvi output and the second (which is smaller) running from the vga output.

I have it working, in that I have 2 screens and the mouse will move from one to the other.

But I have a couple of questions -

First question - how do you go about stretching the display so it covers both monitors ? and is it possible when the monitors are different sizes - example my main monitor's resolution is 1440x900 and the second smaller monitor's resolution is 1280x800.

The other thing I was wondering about was making 1 monitor desktop 1 and the second monitor desktop 2 so that when I use compiz to switch between desktops it actually switches from monitor to monitor, rather than using virtual desktops ?

I have only just started using dual monitors, so I don't really know what I'm doing at present, or what is and isn't possible.

cheers in advance for any help.

realzippy
August 5th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Doesn't that heavily depend on the Driver/Graphics card you use?
ATI free?FGLRX?Nouveau?Nvidia?Intel?

techno-mole
August 5th, 2010, 05:02 PM
I have an nvida 9500gt pci express card, the driver version is - 256.44

I don't have the nouveau firmware installed, and the only packages I have installed that relate to nouveau are - libdrm-nouveau1 version - 2.4.18-1ubuntu3

and - xserver-xorg-video-nouveau version - 1:0.0.15+git20100219+9b4118d-0ubuntu5

I have 3d support and from what I can tell that means I'm not using the nouveau driver, I'm using the nvidia non free driver.

techno-mole
August 5th, 2010, 05:43 PM
I've been looking around, and I don't think it's possible to do what I wanted, I can configure each monitor as a separate x screen, but this would mean not being able to drag and drop stuff from one screen to another.
I have it set up as a twin view at the moment, which will do for now.

It would have been good to have each screen as a cube face for example, rotating the cube would then take you to each respective monitor, or something like that.

Cheers.