PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't connect wired to internet

i.got.ur.back.no
August 4th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Hi, i just installed ubuntu 10.4 LTS on my laptop and i when i tried to connect to the internet wired i couldn't. nothing happened! am i supposed to do something in the terminal or something? thx

sikander3786
August 4th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Hi.

Basically you don't need to do anything to access the internet unless you are behing a proxy server. A few basic questions

I suppose you are using ADSL. Is your LAN Card recognized by Ubuntu? There should be a Network Icon present in the top right corner of your screen in the system tray.

Is your PC a dhcp client? Is the gateway information correctly distributed by the dhcp server?

Regards.

dv3500ea
August 4th, 2010, 07:57 PM
If you go to System -> Administration -> System Monitor
and click on the 'Resources' tab, can you see any activity under 'Network History'?

If you open a web browser (the default is firefox), what happens?

Is the 'wired' connection an ethernet connection or something else (eg. USB)?

Is it dialup or broadband?

i.got.ur.back.no
August 4th, 2010, 08:20 PM
okay the answer to ur first question is that i don't see anything under Network History..

answer to ur second question is when i open firefox is says Welcome to Ubuntu 10.4 LTS and it just talks about ubuntu

Answer to the third question is that i have ethernet connnection

and fourth question i have mobile broadband

dv3500ea
August 4th, 2010, 09:30 PM
When you try to go to a website (eg. google, what happens)?

When you click on the network indicator in the top right hand corner, what does it say underneath 'Wired Network'?

To get extra (advanced) information you can go to System -> Administration -> Network Tools.

To try to configure your connection, go to System -> Preferences -> Network Connections

cj13579
August 4th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Is this a new install? I did an install recently that didn't pick up my network card. However, the following solved it:

Add the following lines to: /etc/network/interfaces by doing:

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

and then add the following lines for DHCP

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

or for a static IP

autho eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.5
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.254

or whatever your IP to be

then

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

dineshs
August 5th, 2010, 06:40 AM
If you are using mobile broadband you can configure it via Network manager
Right click on the double arrow icon on top right of the panel-click edit connections then-mobile broadband -add ......
But to what device your ethernet cable is plugged?What does

ifconfig -asay ?