PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] request for advice on building a new Ubuntu system for music

Old Jimma
August 4th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Dear Ubuntu Community:

I'll soon need to build a new system for myself and want to tailor it for playing music from my new Ubuntu machine through my nice Linn amp/preamp and out my nice speakers.

My goal is to get pretty high quality music from my flac files piped through my new system.

Can somebody provide advice on what I should think about when building a new computer to do this?

Thank you Community!!
:)
Phil Smith
Duluth, GA

snowpine
August 4th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Hi Phil, a good first step is to read the Ubuntu Hardware Requirements and purchase a machine that meets (or exceeds) the recommendation:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

Music playback is not a very demanding task; any computer capable of running Ubuntu should also be able to play back your flac files.

joereith
August 4th, 2010, 07:14 PM
I have the perfect distro for u. This is a realtime kernal so you should have lossless playback and recording and it is made for audio/video producing.

http://ubuntustudio.org/downloads

Old Jimma
August 4th, 2010, 11:32 PM
Thank you JoePine and JoeReith:

Are there any tips for shielding cables or grounding a new computer to minimize interference in transmitting music signal from an Ubuntu machine to a amp/preamp?

THanks!
Phil

snowpine
August 4th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Thank you JoePine and JoeReith:

Are there any tips for shielding cables or grounding a new computer to minimize interference in transmitting music signal from an Ubuntu machine to a amp/preamp?

THanks!
Phil

This is really beyond my area of expertise :) but I have heard good things about audio interfaces that use a "breakout box". Basically the idea is that the input/output jacks and the D/A converters are in a box external to the computer, so there is less interference. The breakout box connects via a special cable to a PCI card inside your computer.

I'm not an expert though... :)