PDA

View Full Version : [other] Need suggestion

KarenD
August 4th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I am trying to fix my kids old computer, the OS is Window XP. My problem is that Internet explorer constantly displaying and error page "unable to diaplay". How can I fix this problem. Step by step Please :D

spook1980
August 4th, 2010, 04:46 PM
um well the 1st step would b asking this question in a windows forum <snip>

TBABill
August 4th, 2010, 04:58 PM
If this happens on all sites you probably have no Internet connection on that computer. Has it been rebooted to see if it comes back up? Without having too much knowledge about configuration, type of connection (wireless or wired), firewall, etc., a reboot (if it was working properly before) may be the easiest first step. More specific information about what works and what doesn't (like other Internet apps) would be needed to go much further. Also, there is an icon in the lower right that shows network status. You can click on this to connect, disconnect, troubleshoot, etc.

Hopefully that helps. If you need to go more in-depth you are likely to get help here but often with a bit of rudeness since the system you are seeking support for is Windows and not Ubuntu. If you can ignore some of those comments you may get to the answer that solves your problem. There are also Windows forums where you can also find assistance if you are unable to get quick answers here.

ankspo71
August 4th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Hi,
To be honest, I don't know. But I know of a pretty good windows forum to recommend for in case you don't find the answers you need here. http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/
Hope this helps.

lukeiamyourfather
August 4th, 2010, 05:16 PM
You need to install Ubuntu to fix it. :lolflag:

On a more serious note, open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" then post what you get. If the IP address is 169.XXX.XXX.XXX then its likely not getting an IP address from the DHCP server or router, or if it says media disconnected then there's a problem with the physical connection (cut wire, bad connector, etc.).

Elfy
August 4th, 2010, 06:08 PM
This is not really the place to get windows help - try the suggestion ankspo has given.

Closing thread.