PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Backing up my files in case

technmom
August 4th, 2010, 02:41 AM
I have a dual boot system with Windows XP and Ubuntu 10.04. I have a terrible infection on the Windows side and am not sure how to back up the stuff I've done in Ubuntu. I suppose all I need to do is back up my user files and I can get back to this as soon as I fix Windows. Is there some way of looking for the infection while in Ubuntu since it is working? should I take this question somewhere else. I'd rather not have to uninstall everything, but am at a loss. Nothing works on the Windows side.

nhasian
August 4th, 2010, 02:57 AM
all of your personal files are located in /home so it is easy to backup just by copying to a flash drive or external hard disk. you can also scan the windows partition for viruses (virii?) while in ubuntu by installing a virus scanner such as clam (apt:clamtk)

sudo apt-get insall clamtk

technmom
August 4th, 2010, 03:19 AM
thank you I will try that

technmom
August 4th, 2010, 04:57 AM
clamtk seems cumbersome. From what I can see I can only scan one directory at a time

David Andersson
August 4th, 2010, 06:03 AM
clamtk seems cumbersome. From what I can see I can only scan one directory at a time

When I tried it, as I recall, I only had to give it one directory name and it scanned the whole directory tree.

nhasian
August 4th, 2010, 07:44 AM
yes you should be able to scan the entire windows drive in one shot. it will most likely take several hours but such is life.

justin43384
August 4th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Simple Backup Config in the Ubuntu software center works too