PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu and nVidia GTX 240 graphic drivers

Cha0sBG
August 3rd, 2010, 06:24 PM
Hello i'm having trouble installing the nVidia drivers for linux. It says it can't open the file. File format: .run Any suggestions or tutorials ?

sikander3786
August 3rd, 2010, 06:30 PM
Hi.

Did you try installing the latest version from System >>> Administration >>> Hardware Drivers?

I think you should install the driver packages from repositories instead of downloading the .run from manufacturers website.

If you still want to install the .run package there should be installation instruction on the manufacturer's website. This is also a good how to for .run

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=239797

Regards.

realzippy
August 3rd, 2010, 06:40 PM
+1 on that.Choose the "current" driver.

If you install from nvidia's .run file,you have to repeat installation after every kernel-update.

Cha0sBG
August 3rd, 2010, 06:40 PM
Thank you for the link, i was able to open it, but the problem is i'm trying to install it on a virtual machine for testing purposes and the installer says it has to be run as root. May telling me how to do that?

realzippy
August 3rd, 2010, 06:43 PM
You CANNOT install Nvidia graphics driver on a virtual machine.
The machine is virtual,so it's graphics card is also virtual of course.

If you want some (poor) 3D acceleration in a virtual machine,you can install the "guest additions" if using virtual box.

Cha0sBG
August 3rd, 2010, 06:45 PM
Oh i didn't realize that. I'm kinda new to all this. Thank you for all your help :)

realzippy
August 3rd, 2010, 06:47 PM
So set thread as "solved" please...have fun!