View Full Version : [ubuntu] Earphones don't work for ubuntu 10.04?

August 3rd, 2010, 07:41 AM

I'm new to Ubuntu 10.04. Whenever I plug in my earphones or any 3.5 mm jack, there is no sound whatsoever. However when I take my earphones out, sound plays fine through the internal speakers. I have a Gateway M6850fx. The specs are here:

I have two high definition audio devices. On Ubuntu, I messed around with the audio settings through pulse audio by clicking the top right speaker icon. I made sure nothing was on mute and all the devices were activated. Then I installed gnome-alsamixer and messed around with those configurations as well. Headphone volume was put on max and I still did not hear anything. I've tried researching online and could not find anything useful. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

sancho panza
August 4th, 2010, 02:41 AM
This might sound stupid, but I'm not an expert and no one else has responded to you: Have you checked to make sure the headphones work well and/or you are plugging them in correctly?

Sorry if it doesnt help.

August 17th, 2010, 05:18 AM
yes i have. thanks for the input tho. earphones work on windows 7 no problem when i dual boot

August 17th, 2010, 05:21 AM
You might have to change the output manually in your volume controls.

August 26th, 2010, 03:46 PM
How do I change the output manually through the volume controls? If you mean through pulseaudio and alsamixer, I have already tried messing around with the settings.