PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to share my laptop with Desktop computer

DayLite
August 2nd, 2010, 10:27 PM
My desktop is a wired connection and my laptop is connected via my wireless router, both are using Ubuntu 10.04.

How do I allow my laptop to see my external Drive that is connected to my desktop, also to connect with my printer.

AlphaLexman
August 2nd, 2010, 10:38 PM
Here is a good tutorial: http://principialabs.com/beginning-ssh-on-ubuntu/

binselam
August 2nd, 2010, 10:45 PM
Hi,

You might like to consider installing SAMBA onto you desktop. You can access your desktop resources using SAMBA share.

Here is a link that shows SAMBA installation.

http://reformedmusings.wordpress.com/2010/05/22/samba-file-sharing-in-ubuntu-lucid-10-04-lts/

Good luck

DayLite
August 2nd, 2010, 11:45 PM
Thank you both for you kind replies :)

I will now try to take your suggestions and see if I can make it work.

DayLite
August 2nd, 2010, 11:55 PM
Here is a good tutorial: http://principialabs.com/beginning-ssh-on-ubuntu/

I read the article:

The following assumptions are made about the reader:

You know what a terminal/command line/shell is and how to start a session.
You have at least a basic familiarity with Linux/Mac command-line syntax.
You’re on a private LAN with access to at least two Linux/Mac computers (or, you have a user account on a remote server that accepts SSH connections).

I am new and do not understand :(

JustinR
August 3rd, 2010, 12:11 AM
Hi, the easiest way to do this is to install Samba, on the computer with the printer and external hard drive.

In Ubuntu the packages are:

samba
system-config-samba

So go into Applications > Accessories > Terminal

In the terminal type:

sudo apt-get install samba system-config-samba

Enter in your password and it will install Samba for you. Alternatively, you can go to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager if the terminal makes you uncomfortable.

The package 'system-config-samba' is a GUI for the package 'samba'.

--

Go to System > Administration > Samba.

Click the big + sign button. Since you said you wanted to share your external hard drive, click the big browse button and find where your hard drive is (eg. /media/EXTERNALHARDDRIVE). Type in a short share name such as 'ExternalHDD' or something along those lines. You can leave 'Description' blank and click both check boxes at the bottom called 'Writable' and 'Visible'. Under access click 'Allow access to everyone', or if you want to be more secure just click the checkbox that's next to your username. Press 'Ok'.

To share your printer, go to System > Administration > Printing. Find your printer, right click it, and press 'Shared'. Done!

-- * Do the rest of this on the computer with out the printer and external hard drive. *

On the other computer (the one without the printer and External hard drive), to go Places > Network. The computer with the printer and external hard drive should pop-up. Double click it, if it asks for a password just enter in the Username and Password of the computer with the printer and hard drive in. Now, you should see your hard drive! You can create a link to it to your desktop if you want.

To get access to the printer go to System > Administration > Printing. Click the button called 'Add'. A dialogue should pop up, click 'Network Printer' and click 'Find Network Printer'. It will search for printers, if your's is found then press 'Forward' and continue until the dialogue is closed. If it is not, then click 'Windows Printer via SAMBA', click the 'Browse' button and find the computer with the printer on it, click the printer name and press 'Forward'. Then your finished!

DayLite
August 3rd, 2010, 12:20 AM
Hi, the easiest way to do this is to install Samba, on the computer with the printer and external hard drive.

I read articles on Samba, it said that it wasn't secured and possible to be hacked into. Both of my PC's are in my living room. I want to make sure the communication remains here in my living room, not on the world wide web.

JustinR
August 3rd, 2010, 12:22 AM
I read articles on Samba, it said that it wasn't secured and possible to be hacked into. Both of my PC's are in my living room. I want to make sure the communication remains here in my living room, not on the world wide web.

Pretty much everything is hackable, SAMBA is no different but it shouldn't be a cause of alarm for you. If your using a password protected router then you should be fine.

DayLite
August 3rd, 2010, 12:27 AM
Pretty much everything is hackable, SAMBA is no different but it shouldn't be a cause of alarm for you. If your using a password protected router then you should be fine.

My router is password protected. But what is odd is that when my laptop saw my wireless, I used the key to connect, not the password.

JustinR
August 3rd, 2010, 12:29 AM
My router is password protected. But what is odd is that when my laptop saw my wireless, I used the key to connect, not the password.

Thats how routers work - you use a Username and Password to login to the administration interface of the router and to get internet access from the router you use a key code - if your using a key code on your routher then most likely, SAMBA will never be hacked into. A hacker would actually have to be on your network - which means that they would also have to have your network key code, which, unless your giving your key code out should never happen.

DayLite
August 3rd, 2010, 12:30 AM
Thats how routers work - you use a Username and Password to login to the administration interface of the router and to get internet access from the router you use a key code - if your using a key code on your routher then most likely, SAMBA will never be hacked into.

JustinR
August 3rd, 2010, 12:31 AM

Your welcome! Have fun.;)

DayLite
August 3rd, 2010, 12:43 AM
Thats how routers work - you use a Username and Password to login to the administration interface of the router and to get internet access from the router you use a key code - if your using a key code on your routher then most likely, SAMBA will never be hacked into.

Thanks:D I will post "success" when I get it to work. I want to than you very much for helping me and responding so quickly. I really appreciate you, very much ):P

DayLite
August 3rd, 2010, 01:09 AM

I installed it and I can see my external drive on my laptop.

:confused: Doesn't open It says

Unable to mount location Failed to mount windows share

Please help :(

JustinR
August 3rd, 2010, 01:11 AM
I installed it and I can see my external drive on my laptop.

:confused: Doesn't open It says

Please help :(

Try restarting both computers and try again.

DayLite
August 3rd, 2010, 01:42 AM
Try restarting both computers and try again.

I rebooted both computers, still the same problem , won't mount.:(

JustinR
August 3rd, 2010, 01:49 AM
I rebooted both computers, still the same problem , won't mount.:(

Okay, try this command:

sudo mkdir /media/ExternalHDD
sudo mount //COMPUTERNAME/EXERNALLHDD /media/ExternalHDD

Replace 'COMPUTERNAME' with what showed up in 'Network'.

And EXTERNALHDD with the Share name of the external hdd you put in SAMBA.

If you have a password on the Share then the command is:

sudo mount //COMPUTERNAME/EXTERNALHDD /media/ExternalHDD/ -o user=username,pass=password

DayLite
August 3rd, 2010, 02:03 AM
Okay, try this command:

sudo mkdir /media/ExternalHDD
sudo mount //COMPUTERNAME/EXERNALLHDD /media/ExternalHDD
Replace 'COMPUTERNAME' with what showed up in 'Network'.

And EXTERNALHDD with the Share name of the external hdd you put in SAMBA.
[/code]

Didn't work :(

sudo: mk: command not found
:

JustinR
August 3rd, 2010, 02:05 AM
Didn't work :(

The command is 'mkdir' not 'mk' ;)

DayLite
August 3rd, 2010, 02:35 AM
The command is 'mkdir' not 'mk' ;)

typed it wrong, I did put in terminal mkdir

JustinR
August 3rd, 2010, 02:38 AM
typed it wrong, I did put in terminal mkdir

Okay well instead of doing 'mkdir' just do the 'sudo mount' command in my previous post and mount it to '/mnt' instead of '/media/EXTERNALHDD'

So basically:

sudo mount //COMPUTERNAME/EXERNALHDD /mnt

DayLite
August 3rd, 2010, 04:13 AM
Okay well instead of doing 'mkdir' just do the 'sudo mount' command in my previous post and mount it to '/mnt' instead of '/media/EXTERNALHDD'

So basically:

sudo mount //COMPUTERNAME/EXERNALHDD /mnt

Followed your instructions :(

What is very :confused: I was able to set up the printer on my laptop to recognize and print to my desktop printer, yet cannot mount the external hard drive or my photo folder on my desktop.

JustinR
August 3rd, 2010, 04:16 AM
Followed your instructions :(

What is very :confused: I was able to set up the printer on my laptop to recognize and print to my desktop printer, yet cannot mount the external hard drive or my photo folder on my desktop.

Well I'm not sure what else I can do for you - you can try searching Google for 'Unable to mount location Failed to mount windows share'

DayLite
August 3rd, 2010, 04:19 AM
Well I'm not sure what else I can do for you - you can try searching Google for 'Unable to mount location Failed to mount windows share'

Thank you for your effort and taking your valuable time to help me. I have been doing a Google search to no avail. Many of the posts have no solutions, just questions.

Thanks again, and take care.