PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Adobe acrobat suddenly dims the screen

noidian
August 2nd, 2010, 08:37 PM
If I view a pdf on Acrobat reader 9.0 it causes the screen brightness to suddenly dip and it becomes ok. It only happens with acrobat reader.

Anybody else with similar problems?

Thanks

dv3500ea
August 2nd, 2010, 08:49 PM
Is it the whole screen or just the window that dims?
This sounds like what happens when an application is 'not responding'.

I don't have this problem because I just use the default PDF reader (evince).

beew
August 2nd, 2010, 08:56 PM
Do you have an old computer? Sounds like it has frozen. Get rid of Adobe and get a lighter PDF reader. It is a bloatware that hogs all your resources. It is just ridiculous that you have to install over 100 M just to read a Pdf file. In my old Windows XP laptop a few years ago the whole thing would grind to a halt if I opened several PDF documents (like 5 or 6)at the same time with Adobe reader. I then switched to Foxit Reader and it was around 6 M and could easily open more than 10 pdfs in tab without slowing down the system.

Evince is not a very good pdf reader IMO, it is very slow in loading pages, but still way better than the bloated Adobe. I am still looking for a best Pdf viewer in Ubuntu. At the moment I use Foxit's Linux version. Comparing to the Windows version it is rather lacking in features and has some bugs, but it is still the best PDF reader I can find so far. It is very fast.

noidian
August 2nd, 2010, 09:10 PM
Do you have an old computer? Sounds like it has frozen. Get rid of Adobe and get a lighter PDF reader. It is a bloatware that hogs all your resources. It is just ridiculous that you have to install over 100 M just to read a Pdf file. In my old Windows XP laptop a few years ago the whole thing would grind to a halt if I opened several PDF documents (like 5 or 6)at the same time with Adobe reader. I then switched to Foxit Reader and it was around 6 M and could easily open more than 10 pdfs in tab without slowing down the system.

Evince is not a very good pdf reader IMO, it is very slow in loading pages, but still way better than the bloated Adobe. I am still looking for a best Pdf viewer in Ubuntu. At the moment I use Foxit's Linux version. Comparing to the Windows version it is rather lacking in features and has some bugs, but it is still the best PDF reader I can find so far. It is very fast.

Hi thanks for the suggestions, the problem was I have latex documents which have to verify by viewing in adobe and check fonts etc. So I am essentially stuck with using it.

Regarding the computer I dont think it is that old it has 8GB DDR3 and a quad core.

But the fact is it happens only with adobe acrobat, I tried with evince and gimp as a image they seem to render it without the sudden fade.

As mentioned earlier, I do agree with the fact it seems as if suddenly adobe is not responding and it comes back to life.

thanks

robert shearer
August 2nd, 2010, 09:45 PM
I do not use adobe so cannot comment on it.
However the screen dimming I have noted in other apps especially where a time-out occurs whilst the app does a look-up that is network related. (usually to a non-existent host)

(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1512422)

As you have ample resources something like a network time-out seems more likely.

Does the dimming happen when using the reader whilst connected ?

noidian
August 5th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I do not use adobe so cannot comment on it.
However the screen dimming I have noted in other apps especially where a time-out occurs whilst the app does a look-up that is network related. (usually to a non-existent host)

(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1512422)

As you have ample resources something like a network time-out seems more likely.

Does the dimming happen when using the reader whilst connected ?
After some due experimentation, 1.) acrobat does do a network look up and suddenly it dims.
2.) Another dimming feature is if you highlight text in your reader press the mouse button for a little while longer, and you also have a similar scenario...

I have added the solution in the thread, but will experiment on this later.