August 2nd, 2010, 07:36 PM
Just curious about whether or not USB3.0 is supported in Lucid. Thanks

sandyd
August 2nd, 2010, 07:38 PM
Just curious about whether or not USB3.0 is supported in Lucid. Thanks
Linux is the first OS to support usb 3.0, so yes :D

Jdutch101
August 2nd, 2010, 07:52 PM
Perfect, thanks. Is it safe to assume that SATA 3.0 also works? I've got a P55A mobo and I wanted to make sure all of my bells and whistles were working properly. I plan to buy a SATA 3.0 HDD soon, and would be disappointed to find out that it isn't supported.

sandyd
August 2nd, 2010, 08:01 PM
works on opensuse 10.2 (which is old, mind you) -> http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/suse-linux-help/164870-solved-sata-3-0-support-opensuse-11-2-a.html

so it should work on ubuntu as well.

soldier1st
August 3rd, 2010, 10:37 PM
it seems Linux supports these things far faster than MS imlements them as Windows 7/Vista will have support for USB3.0(who knows when it will be implemented) but i bet anything lower will not get the same treatment and support.

Mark Phelps
August 4th, 2010, 03:36 PM
it seems Linux supports these things far faster than MS imlements them as Windows 7/Vista will have support for USB3.0(who knows when it will be implemented) but i bet anything lower will not get the same treatment and support.

Win7 native OS support for USB 3.0 is included in SP1 -- which was just released in beta form.

Win7 drivers for various USB 3.0 controller cards are already available for download.

So, basically, if you add a controller that supports USB 3.0, and you install their Win7-compatible USB 3.0 drivers -- you can have USB 3.0 support in Win7 now.

TTGRULES
August 4th, 2010, 03:56 PM
wow.. im behind the times.. I didn't know that usb 3.0 was even out...
but I am not supprised that linux is the first to support 3.0..
Since linux is more developer friendly, and since we have community developing, its much easier to come up with drivers and codecs for new devices... windows has to wait until its small group of paid programmers comes up with a suitable driver...

tarps87
August 4th, 2010, 04:04 PM
wow.. im behind the times.. I didn't know that usb 3.0 was even out...
but I am not supprised that linux is the first to support 3.0..
Since linux is more developer friendly, and since we have community developing, its much easier to come up with drivers and codecs for new devices... windows has to wait until its small group of paid programmers comes up with a suitable driver...

Good, I'm not the only one who missed this :)

Mark Phelps
August 5th, 2010, 04:00 PM
... windows has to wait until its small group of paid programmers comes up with a suitable driver...

WOW ... did you not read what I already posted? And, are you totally unaware of how MS Windows drivers generally get developed? When you buy an add-on USB 3.0 card, it will come with Win7 USB 3.0 drivers (or, if not in the box, you will be able to download it from their website).

Most of the drivers are provided by the sellers of add-on hardware, especially in the case of I/O cards. Whether or not they pay a small group of programmers to come up with a suitable driver, I do not know.