View Full Version : [ubuntu] weird problem when copying CDs or DVDs

Inodoro Pereyra
August 2nd, 2010, 07:19 PM
Hello everybody.
I'm running 9.10 on a desktop. I just installed it, after 10.04 would just stop recognizing my DVD drives altogether.
Now, when I try to copy a CD or DVD, it copies it without incident, but if afterwards I try to copy another one, it just won't let me, unless I restart the computer.

Let me be more clear: I put a disk to copy in the drive. Once the icon appears, I right click on it, then click on "copy disk", and follow the whole process without a problem. Then, I take the disk out and put another one in (whether I eject it through the drop down menu or unmount it and manually eject it doesn't make a difference), and when I right click on it, the "copy disk" instruction is not even there.

Can anybody tell me how to fix this?
Thanks in advance. :)

Inodoro Pereyra
August 2nd, 2010, 11:19 PM
Nobody? :(

Darkness Des
August 2nd, 2010, 11:23 PM
Have you tried opening Brasero instead of only using the context menus?

Inodoro Pereyra
August 3rd, 2010, 06:35 AM
Hmmm, no, I haven't. Will try tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply. :)

August 3rd, 2010, 09:22 AM
Try some other applications like K3b and K9copy. They can be installed via Synaptic.

With DVD's check what media you are using. My drive hates DVD+R but works fine with DVD-R.

Inodoro Pereyra
August 4th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Will try them. Which one do you recommend?

Thank you.

August 5th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Which one do you recommend?Try them both and see which one you like best. K9copy does a great job of backing up DVD's to a neat .iso file.

August 5th, 2010, 06:55 PM
+1 for K3b for straight disk copying tasks. It will install the KDE libs in gnome, but you'll prolly need to do that sooner or later for other cool software's with a K..like krusader for instance :)