PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu kde desktop problem

gazz1982
August 2nd, 2010, 03:06 PM
Hi I have a general problem, I log in and the desktop does not appear, I get the nice blue background with a command promt in the top left corner which is fixed in place, I can use this to open programs but I can not miminise them or move the windows.

I had this problem in koala so upgraded to lynx but still no joy :( The gnome desktop does something similar, therefore not a desktop issue, the login splash screen works fine, although I now get a:

Warning: cannot open console kit session unable to open session. The permission of the setuid helper is not correct.

I have been working via a windows machine and ssh for a year now, I would really like my destop back, but i don't want to lose my programs I have installed or data by doing a clean install.

Many thanks

Gary

LowSky
August 2nd, 2010, 03:15 PM
have you ever logged in or used the file manager as root? If yes you probably somewhere along the line have messed up your user account's permissions by accident.

gazz1982
August 2nd, 2010, 10:28 PM
It happened before I had chance to setup any account or sort permissions! I did an update I think.

MusicallyInspired
December 5th, 2010, 02:58 PM
I know this is an old thread, but this just happened to me last night when upgrading from Kubuntu 10.04 to Kubuntu 10.10. When the message appears I have no keyboard or mouse control and can't do anything. I also don't want to lose everything I just set up. What can I do?

pcarbonell
August 10th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Hi folks,

Had this problem today (1 year later than this thread) but found a solution at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1705223

try this to fix it:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

and rerun update commands.

Cheers