PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to change log in lucid

DarinB
August 2nd, 2010, 01:03 PM
I had some really cool log in screens i created in earlier versions of Ubuntu. Can that be done in Lucid?

LowSky
August 2nd, 2010, 01:37 PM
Yes it can

DarinB
August 7th, 2010, 01:45 AM
hey low sky
could you guide me a little more?
i have found it difficult to find a tutorial on it.

nick_goodfate
August 7th, 2010, 01:52 AM
you can use ubuntu tweak (you can find it in Software Center) to change login screen logo, login wallpaper and choose if you want user list and restart buttons to be displayed . You can also disable/enable sounds at login .

DarinB
August 7th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I use Linux mint 9 i can't find ubuntu tweak

sisco311
August 7th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I use Linux mint 9 i can't find ubuntu tweak

Add gnome-appearance-properties & gconf-editor to GDM's autostart:

sudo cp -t /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/ /usr/share/applications/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop /usr/share/applications/gconf-editor.desktop

Log out. Two new windows should appear.

In gconf-editor, go to apps -> gdm -> simple-greeter, where you can change/setup the banner text, disable/enable the restart buttons and user list...

In gnome-appearance-properties you can change the theme, background, icon theme, mouse cursor...

When you are done, close the windows and log in, then remove the apps from GDM's autostart:

sudo rm /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/gconf-editor.desktop

rburkartjo
August 7th, 2010, 05:56 PM
dar here is the link for ubuntu tweak. and i used mint before and it works just great

http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

DarinB
August 8th, 2010, 02:18 PM
ubuntu tweaks does not work for me...
I see others on a google search have the same thing

DarinB
August 8th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Add gnome-appearance-properties & gconf-editor to GDM's autostart:
Code:

sudo cp -t /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/ /usr/share/applications/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop /usr/share/applications/gconf-editor.desktop

Log out. Two new windows should appear.

In gconf-editor, go to apps -> gdm -> simple-greeter, where you can change/setup the banner text, disable/enable the restart buttons and user list...

In gnome-appearance-properties you can change the theme, background, icon theme, mouse cursor...

When you are done, close the windows and log in, then remove the apps from GDM's autostart:
Code:

sudo rm /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/gconf-editor.desktop

Please explain how this differs from ubuntu tweak and what does the -t do
also will this give me the application from earlier versions of ubuntu to change the log in

DarinB
August 8th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Hey sisco311 it worked great....
is there a way to change the actual log in part since it is in the middle and blocks my picture.

DarinB
August 9th, 2010, 09:49 PM
i saw an earlier post this
sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --set /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list --type bool true

what does this do? can it let me use the login windows preference from jaunty...will this cool thing come back to create themed log ins??????