PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why is evolution Dumb?

evstevemd
August 2nd, 2010, 10:07 AM
I first have to admit that UI for Evolution is far superiro to TB3.
I set up my exchange account in no time with Evolution while I haven't figured out yet in thunderbird.

Dspite all these evolution is dumb and the dumbest thing is taking all my accounts into single inbox. I have like four or five accounts and with TB is breeze.

So why is Evolution that dumb? Why won't it figure out that they are different account and *must* have different inboxex, drafts et al?

No offense intended but I think this is dumb thing in world of advanced softwares :o

Macskeeball
August 2nd, 2010, 10:29 AM
Some people want a unified inbox, and some (such as yourself) do not. In other words, the reason it behaves that way is that some people (such as myself) actually prefer their email that way. It's not "dumb" as you say. It's simply a matter of personal preference.

I just did some searching on this subject, and it seems that it has to do with how Evolution handles multiple POP3 accounts. From what others have said, it looks like using IMAP accounts would allow you to keep them separate.

evstevemd
August 2nd, 2010, 01:46 PM
Some people want a unified inbox, and some (such as yourself) do not. In other words, the reason it behaves that way is that some people (such as myself) actually prefer their email that way. It's not "dumb" as you say. It's simply a matter of personal preference.

I just did some searching on this subject, and it seems that it has to do with how Evolution handles multiple POP3 accounts. From what others have said, it looks like using IMAP accounts would allow you to keep them separate.
I think they should have done like TB, you can go both ways, global and separate.
Now they prevent guys like me to use their beautiful UI.

I will find some ways to make my TB work with Exchange, may be davmail will do it

qamelian
August 2nd, 2010, 01:56 PM
Strange. My personal email and my work email show up in separate inboxes in Evolution.

evstevemd
August 2nd, 2010, 02:16 PM
Strange. My personal email and my work email show up in separate inboxes in Evolution.

How did you create them?
I created Exchange account and Hotmail one and behold, they got into same mailbox.
:mad:

gandaran
August 2nd, 2010, 02:22 PM
use imap server, not pop, never tried imap but I think that will work with separate folders for each email account.

qamelian
August 2nd, 2010, 03:10 PM
How did you create them?
I created Exchange account and Hotmail one and behold, they got into same mailbox.
:mad:

I just created the accounts. I didn't do anything special. When I open Evolution, I see three sections. At the top is a unified inbox, followed by the Gmail account (labelled Personal) with its own inbox. Finally, at the bottom of the list is a section labelled Work, which is the Exchange account, also displaying its own inbox.

This is just how it appeared by default: one unified inbox, followed by separate inboxes for each account. Evolution has always worked this way by default on any install I've done since I started using Evolution years ago.

evstevemd
August 2nd, 2010, 03:14 PM
I just created the accounts. I didn't do anything special. When I open Evolution, I see three sections. At the top is a unified inbox, followed by the Gmail account (labelled Personal) with its own inbox. Finally, at the bottom of the list is a section labelled Work, which is the Exchange account, also displaying its own inbox.

This is just how it appeared by default: one unified inbox, followed by separate inboxes for each account. Evolution has always worked this way by default on any install I've done since I started using Evolution years ago.

I will give it another try and see if I missed something

philinux
August 2nd, 2010, 03:32 PM
I will give it another try and see if I missed something

I don't think you missed anything. I have 4 accounts and I use a filter to redirect to my created folders.

evstevemd
August 2nd, 2010, 04:20 PM
I don't think you missed anything. I have 4 accounts and I use a filter to redirect to my created folders.
Phil, would you provide me a help on that?
My two Gmail and exchange server are on separate (Though I can still see exchange in Global account too) but I cannot do anything to my Yahoo/Hotmail accounts. I will be hapy to do like you have done