PDA

View Full Version : I wish I could switch completely to Linux but I can't...

RobertL
July 31st, 2010, 03:01 AM
I wish I could ditch Windows. I would happily switch completely to Linux if it ran the applications I need, or equivalents, but it just doesn't.

First of all I need Quicken for my money. I tried some Linux apps that purport to manage your accounts but they're nowhere near as mature, they don't have the functions I use, and they're buggy. I could give up a few functions but buggy isn't acceptable when I'm dealing with money. Also, I rely on TurboxTax and I don't think there is a Linux equivalent to that.

Also, I'm addicted to Lord of the Rings Online, which doesn't run under wine.

Also, I make floor plans and some other types of drawings with Visio and I can't find a Linux app that even comes close. Actually, I don't like Visio much but it does the job and it doesn't run on Linux. Open Office Drawing is very simplistic by comparison and it's buggy. A viable alternative might be an http-based app (i.e., web accessed only) from Autodesk. I haven't checked that out yet.

Then there are a few web sites I need to use that require IE. I might be able to get them working with the right Firefox plugins but I haven't tried that yet.

Also, I'm using an online backup utility (Syncplicity) on my windows machine that seems to work ok. There doesn't seem to be a linux equivalent that's solid. Unbuntu One is promising but (in my opinion) it isn't ready for prime time yet and I don't want beta software handling my backups.

There's probably another thing or two I can't do with Linux that isn't coming to mind right now. Also, I haven't found Ubuntu to be as trouble-free compared to windows as the hype suggests. It's better but not perfect. For example it sure messed up my system and gave me some headaches when I upgraded from 9.04 to 10.04. And a couple of things that previously worked don't work any more. Also, it doesn't have a driver for my printer even though it's a common one (Canon 870). Hopefully these shortcomings will get less over time.

Of course there's a long list of advantages to Linux, which is why I use it whenever possible. But I wish these shortcomings would vanish.

hansdown
July 31st, 2010, 03:31 AM
Hi RobertL.

Sorry I can't help with the majority of your post.

I will offer a suggestion about online backups.

BEWARE.

If this is a windows environment, The chances of malware intrusion, may prove to be unsatisfactory.

cybrsaylr
July 31st, 2010, 04:49 AM
In that case dual boot is your solution RobertL.
With a dual boot you have the best of both worlds with the ability to run either Linux or M$.
I've been dual booting 4 years now and use Linux 99% of the time now.

Have had very little problems with Ubuntu in those 4 years. Right now I could dump Windoz completely but can't justify getting a new PC with W7 then dumping it. W7 is a fine OS but I still prefer more stable and secure Linux. I can do all I need with Linux now.

I dumped Turbo Tax years ago and now use TaxACT which is cheaper and runs fine with Linux.

Stopped using IE many years ago preferring Opera, FF and now Chrome which IMHO are all better than IE and run fine on Linux.

RobertL
July 31st, 2010, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the comments. I'll check out TaxACT and rethink online backup. I do disk-to-disk backups about twice per month too (belt & suspenders). I know about FF and Opera. I use FF 99% of the time even on Windows. I've been meaning to check out Chrome but didn't get around to it yet.

My solution currently is 2 machines - one Ubuntu and the other Windows XP (it's too old for Win7) for gaming and the things that I can't do with Ubuntu. What prompted my posting was that I'd just like to ditch the windows machine but I can't because I can't find adequate Linux apps.

cariboo
July 31st, 2010, 11:22 PM
The points you have brought up, have been brought up many times before, moved to Recurring Discussions