View Full Version : Beginners Programming: Java Tutorial 1

July 25th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Hi All

I remember that I used to be bored and I used to get a lot of classes on Java programming which I had fun with. After all my classes I decided it would be fun to have a go at a total beginners guide to programming. Do know that with total beginners guide I actually really mean TOTAL beginners guide.

So here was my attempt at creating a small tutorial for the beginner. I didn't get a lot of response to it because not a lot of people are interested in programming so I thought I'd give out the tutorial here. This is also because I want to share something with the community.

Note: I used to be creating these tutorials in Window$.

If you all enjoy it i'll do my best to create some more tutorials.

Thanks and have fun !

EDIT: How silly I totally forgot the link. Here's the link !
EDIT 2: Due to there being some concern of this being Spam I put a direct link to the PDF.

http://www.deviantart.com/download/148067658/Programming_In_Java__Chapter_1_by_HerazioX.pdf (http://heraziox.deviantart.com/#/d2g5lqi)

July 25th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I don't want to say that it IS SPAM, because I may just be too stupid to figure out how to get to the tutorial on your web site, but it certainly looks like SPAM. All I can see is the description of the first chapter, but I can't get to the actual first chapter. Perhaps better/simpler web page navigation tools would help other slow people like me.

July 25th, 2010, 01:54 PM
No spam don't worry. Blame that on Deviantart. To your right there's a download the PDF button. Would you suggest uploading it elsewhere ?

July 25th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Here are some suggestions after reading through your first pdf:

1. If you introduce an IDE so early in the tutorial, why don't you also show the benefits of using an IDE, like templates:
'main' + Ctrl+Space
'sys' + Ctrl+Space

2. I guess there are billions of Java tutorials with the following steps: intro > variables > loops > classes & methods > etc
My suggestion is that you have a complete application as the goal of the tutorial,
and while showing how to write that you introduce the steps one by one.
This way the reader will be more motivated, instead of YATJT (yet-another-theoretical-java-tutorial)
the reader get to learn how to write perhaps a cool game in Java and in the process learn the basics of the language.

July 25th, 2010, 04:26 PM
No, please, don't use DeviantArt for this! A Wordpress.com blog would serve you better. DeviantArt is optimized for pictures, graphical art... even their support for litterary stuff is really bad...

And now, on your tutorial... It's generally a bad idea to base tutorials on any IDE... Even for Java. Teach the language and just the language, teach how to compile the program and how to run it with javac and java (and jar) and, if necessary, place some addendum on what IDEs are for and how they make your life easier...