PDA

View Full Version : LearnPythonTheHardWay

nair
July 23rd, 2010, 05:12 PM
I was wondering what people made of this free .pdf guide/book "LearnPythonTheHardWay". I have essentially zero programming experience and am familiar with zero languages. After reading on the web and on this forum, I decided to give Python a try. I downloaded this guide yesterday and made it through the first 5 exercises last night. I thought that I was making some fairly decent progress right out of the gate for someone who was affectively clueless. I have understood everything that I have done so far, (except for maybe some of the specifics about the general topic of floating point vs. fixed point), and I have a fairly good grasp of how the guide will likely progress.

Is this guide a good place to start for learning python? According to the cover page it is very current (June 6, 2010), although it deals exclusively with Python 2, not 3. Plus, it is very organized (so far).

ssam
July 23rd, 2010, 09:50 PM
i had a flick through. looks like a good book for an beginner.

it is very slow and gentle. it could get a bit boring if you are a fast learner, or already familiar with programming.

it is focused on making sure you understand what you are doing. this is good.

let us know how you find it.

nair
July 27th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Took the weekend off from coding, but made it through exercise 15 which was the first confusing exercise I have come across since the beginning. I am definitely uncomfortable with the approach of some of these exercises...that of doing the exercise first and then filling in a lot of the relevant details afterward in following exercises. I understand the author's intent which is to get the reader focused on coding and not on reading. Why read about it when you can just jump in and do it. But I feel like the disclosure of relevant detail is staggered for marginally beneficial (and in my opinion possibly detrimental) affect.

VH-BIL
July 27th, 2010, 08:36 AM
I am going to check it out now...

nair
August 3rd, 2010, 09:01 AM
I just finished exercise 38, the last one in the book, and I have to say that overall I was pleased with the book. I feel comfortable with very basic programming syntax in python, and have an idea of how to create, analyze, and debug code. Although the book might need a touch of polish as is (release 0.3, presumably unfinished) it got me comfortable with coding. The reader is suppose to be coding very often as he or she progresses through this book. It is clearly designed for those who want to read and code in parallel.

alphaniner
August 3rd, 2010, 02:16 PM
A programmer will eventually tell you to use Mac OSX or Linux. If the programmer likes fonts and typography they’ll tell you to get a Mac OSX computer. If they like control and have a huge beard then they’ll tell you to install Linux.

lol