PDA

View Full Version : TCP/IP issue --- too slow upload speed

kashyap_ankur
July 23rd, 2010, 07:51 AM
I am working on an application --- which you can consider a simple/straight-forward client-server thing. During the tests I discovered that while sending large amount of data from client to server I never crossed 30 - 35 KBps speed limit. In order to figure out if there is a problem with the application or the connection, I tried to upload files by using attach feature of multiple web-mail websites. In all the cases I noticed the upload speed touching 80 - 90 KBps. Then it occurred to me that there may be some problem with my server or at the server-side --- Virtual instance of Ubuntu Server 9.04 on Amazon Cloud EC2. So I installed Apache/PHP and created a simple file upload HTML page. Again, the upload touched 80 - 90 KBps. So I was sure that the problem is either with my sever app or the client app.

The server and client both are huge applications, so I decided to write the simplest server and client and then find out what's going wrong. I have attached the code of the server with this email. To my disappointment --- I got the same poor results --- 30 - 35 KBps. The client application is based on Windows using Winsock 2. But all the application that showed 80 - 90 KBps are also running on my Windows PC only. The code of the sample client isn't attached with the email. The code is very simple. Create the socket, connect, loop --- "send" Winsock 2 function call --- passing 4 KB of data in each shot. Also tried different sizes --- 2/8 KB of data in each shot.

I also tried changing the sizes of send and receive buffers (SO_RCVBUF and SO_SNDBUF) to adjust the Window size, and I tried this with both the client and server. No change in the results. I am not sure where I am going wrong, at least so far as this simplest application is concerned.

dwhitney67
July 23rd, 2010, 10:17 AM
I took a look at your code; there doesn't seem to be anything that stands out. However, I do not know what the value of BUFSIZ is declared to be. You should avoid reading, that is calling read(), unless you know for a fact that there is actually data present on the socket. You can use select() to determine when it is time to read. Otherwise read() will block.

And personally, I would not call read(), but instead recv(). I realize that read() is essentially the same, but with no parameter for the option flag(s).

P.S. A backlog of 128 for the listen() call?? Typically 5 should be sufficient. If you expect a lot of connections, then handle each client in a separate thread.