PDA

View Full Version : Cuda

nebu
July 22nd, 2010, 02:03 PM
I use CUDA on my desktop for some of my programs. My desktop runs Ubuntu 9.04 and has a NVIDIA GPU, so I managed to do the installation after reading a few tutorials online.

However, I would like to continue editing my code on my laptop. The laptop runs Ubuntu 10.04 and this is the description of its GPU from lshw

*-display:0
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 0c
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: msi pm bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:29 memory:e4600000-e46fffff
memory:d0000000-dfffffff(prefetchable)
ioport:4000(size=8)

How do I install CUDA on this machine? I cant seem to find any tutorials online on how to install it in machines which do not have a nvidia graphics chip?

Thanks for the help

cascade9
July 22nd, 2010, 02:09 PM
You cant install CUDA on a machine without a nVidia 8XXX series or higher GPU.

No way that it is going to work with an Intel GPU.

nebu
July 22nd, 2010, 02:16 PM
You cant install CUDA on a machine without a nVidia 8XXX series or higher GPU.

No way that it is going to work with an Intel GPU.
are you sure??

i was reading on the nvidia forums that you can run it in some sort of emulation mode.... but the guys there dont say how to do that!

cascade9
July 22nd, 2010, 02:29 PM
Ther might be a hack to make it work on Intel GPUs, but I doubt it.

More likely that it would work on ATI, since Intel GPUs are always a few generations behind ATI/nVidia.

Queue29
July 22nd, 2010, 03:34 PM
are you sure??

i was reading on the nvidia forums that you can run it in some sort of emulation mode.... but the guys there dont say how to do that!

Compile with -deviceemu

This will cause the program to start up a bunch of pthreads and utilize those as if they were individual cores, all on your cpu.

ssam
July 23rd, 2010, 12:25 AM
for cross platform GPU programming you want openCL rather than CUDA.

nebu
July 23rd, 2010, 07:03 AM
for cross platform GPU programming you want openCL rather than CUDA.
I looked around for opencl.... however I could not find anything on how to install it in ubuntu....

another problem is that I couldnt even find anything on their website which looked remotely similar to "get sdk"

so i dont know really.... do you have any idea how to install it in ubuntu 10.04 64bit?