PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox 4 on ubuntu?

miniclip22
July 22nd, 2010, 04:33 AM
Hi all. I don't know if this is the correct spot to post his, but here it goes: I want to install Firefox 4, but when I download it it appears as a file tar.bz2... No executable file... I am a newbie to linux, so can someone create a firefox 4 package for me? Thanks!

Kellen0070
July 22nd, 2010, 05:20 AM
In Terminal
Unpack the package using:
mv firefox-4.0b1.tar.bz2 ~
tar -xjvf firefox-4.0b1.tar.bz2

then run the executable:

~/firefox/./firefox

That should work. I do not currently have linux installed on my computer but I have done this before with other versions of firefox.

lovinglinux
July 22nd, 2010, 05:30 AM
See Method #1 at the Installing Other Versions (http://firefox-tutorials.blogspot.com/2010/05/installing-other-versions.html) tutorial.

You can also use my extension FoxTester (http://foxtester-extension.blogspot.com), which make easy to install, test and uninstall multiple versions of Firefox.

mahmudinashar
July 22nd, 2010, 05:32 AM
wow, evetualy firefox 4 come to ubuntu, sip .

lovinglinux
July 22nd, 2010, 05:33 AM
wow, evetualy firefox 4 come to ubuntu, sip .

Only in the next version of Ubuntu.

miniclip22
July 22nd, 2010, 05:35 AM
I have unpacked, but cannot run the executable, "No Such File or Directory". Any ideas?

lovinglinux
July 22nd, 2010, 06:44 AM
I have unpacked, but cannot run the executable, "No Such File or Directory". Any ideas?

If your original tar.bz2 has source in the name, then you have the wrong file (those are for compiling). If not, then browse the extracted folder and double-click the firefox file inside it.

BTW, are you planning to use it as your main browser? Is too soon for that. Most extensions won't work yet.

miniclip22
July 24th, 2010, 05:36 AM
If your original tar.bz2 has source in the name, then you have the wrong file (those are for compiling). If not, then browse the extracted folder and double-click the firefox file inside it.

BTW, are you planning to use it as your main browser? Is too soon for that. Most extensions won't work yet.

Finally got it to install. Yes, I'm planning to use firefox as my main browser. I have the 4th version on Windows seven, but my question is: why isn't firefox's visual style equal to windows? It seems like firefox 3 and not that good looking firefox 4 on windows... Any ideas?

lovinglinux
July 24th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Finally got it to install. Yes, I'm planning to use firefox as my main browser. I have the 4th version on Windows seven, but my question is: why isn't firefox's visual style equal to windows? It seems like firefox 3 and not that good looking firefox 4 on windows... Any ideas?

Mozilla only included the new UI on the Windows version for now. I guess this is because of the new menu, that is inserted in the window border. I don't know how hard would be to implement that on Linux, specially considering there are several window managers. Nevertheless, it seems they will provide the new UI before Firefox 4 is officially released.

miniclip22
July 25th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Mozilla only included the new UI on the Windows version for now. I guess this is because of the new menu, that is inserted in the window border. I don't know how hard would be to implement that on Linux, specially considering there are several window managers. Nevertheless, it seems they will provide the new UI before Firefox 4 is officially released.

OK, that's good news! Hope to see firefox as beautiful as it can be, letting Chrome with no power to fight back :D

lovinglinux
July 25th, 2010, 10:36 PM
OK, that's good news! Hope to see firefox as beautiful as it can be, letting Chrome with no power to fight back :D

hHehehe, I like that. Firefox 4 is really fast too.