PDA

View Full Version : New Frontend Systems

sgunther
July 22nd, 2010, 04:16 AM
For a long time I have had a frontend/backend in my living room and it has served me well. Recently my wife indicated that she wanted to have MythTV in another room of the house and has given the green light to spend some cash for a new system.

Question:
I need a recommendation for a frontend only system with the following constraints;

Less than $200 USD.
Supports Standard Definition RCA & S-Video Output
Prefer a fanless/quiet system.
Integrated IR Receiver
Small Appliance Type Look
Must support a native MythTV interface.

Is an older/used AppleTV with an HDMI to RCA converter cable the best bet for me?

Thanks in advance for the ideas!

uncle hammy
July 22nd, 2010, 11:50 AM
Good luck with the $200.00 price tag. You could look for an Acer Revo 1600, which lists at $199.00. It will do VDPAU, and I've heard it will just make it as a front end. However, you'd still need to come up with a remote for it, which would put you over your budget.

LowSky
July 22nd, 2010, 02:34 PM
For the price your willing to spend, forget about it. S-Video and RCA are going to be hard to find these days, VGA and HDMI have pretty much taken over, and no one builds a nettop with a built-in remote receiver.

Your best option is something like the WD TV
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136472&cm_re=wd_media_player-_-22-136-472-_-Product

All you need is an external drive and you have an instant portable media center.

nickrout
July 23rd, 2010, 01:33 PM
wdtv does NOT run mythfrontend.

rhpot1991
July 29th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Softmod a Classic Xbox, or lose the under $200 price tag.

LowSky
July 29th, 2010, 07:22 PM
wdtv does NOT run mythfrontend.
I didn't say it would.