PDA

View Full Version : How do i read single character input from keyboard using nasm (assembly) under ubuntu

qteks200
July 22nd, 2010, 01:52 AM
Hi, I'm using nasm under ubuntu. By the way i need to get single input character from user's keyboard (like when a program ask you for y/n ?) so as key pressed and without pressing enter i need to read the entered character. I googled it a lot but all what i found was somehow related to this line (int 21h) which result in "Segmentation Fault". Please help me to figure it out how to get single character or how to over come this segmentation fault.
Thanks a lot,

rCXer
July 22nd, 2010, 03:10 AM
Not sure how to do this under Ubuntu but int 21h is for MS-DOS. Try looking at int 80h.

jimi_hendrix
July 22nd, 2010, 04:28 AM
Using the sys_read system call with stdin as the file descriptor is one way of doing it. Here (http://asm.sourceforge.net//syscall.html#3) is the prototype.

nvteighen
July 22nd, 2010, 12:53 PM
This is an example... Of course it's silly to do this kind of stuff in ASM, but well... I've divided it into subroutines using the so-called "C calling convention". For your interest, inputTo is probably what you need.

section .data
prompt db "Yes or no?", 10
promptLen equ $ - prompt

section .bss
;; Using bss to simplify things, but you better use stack locals.

inputData resb 2 ; 2 bytes... so the newline gets also there

section .text
global _start ; Required by ELF

printWhatever:
;; ebp + 8: message; ebp + 12: message length.

push ebp
mov ebp, esp

mov eax, 4
mov ebx, 1 ; 1 = stdout
mov ecx, [ebp + 8]
mov edx, [ebp + 12]
int 80h ; fire the kernel up.

pop ebp
ret

inputTo:
;; ebp + 8: place to write; ebp + 12: length

push ebp
mov ebp, esp

mov eax, 3
mov ebx, 0 ; 0 = stdin
mov ecx, [ebp + 8]
mov edx, [ebp + 12]
int 80h

pop ebp
ret

_start:
;; print the prompt
push promptLen
push prompt
call printWhatever
add esp, 8

;; get the data
push dword 2
push inputData
call inputTo
add esp, 8

;; do something silly
push dword 2
push inputData
call printWhatever
add esp, 12

;; exit
mov eax, 1
mov ebx, 0
int 80h

Are you sure C wouldn't be useful? If you see yourself using ASM just to call OS routines (int 80h)... it's quite possible that C makes more sense. ASM should be restricted to devices, bootloaders and stuff where you're implementing the foundations of an OS yourself...