PDA

View Full Version : Repairing xorg.conf from Live CD

oldpgmr
July 20th, 2010, 02:58 AM
I messed up my xorg.conf file and now the box stalls at the Mythbuntu screen. I cannot seem to stop the frontend from starting to replace the xorg.conf with the backup copy. Some posts indicate that this can be done by mounting location of the main partition using

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

but that is has not been successful.

Is this possible to do from Live CD or is there a way to stop the frontend from starting?

superm1
July 20th, 2010, 05:04 AM
I messed up my xorg.conf file and now the box stalls at the Mythbuntu screen. I cannot seem to stop the frontend from starting to replace the xorg.conf with the backup copy. Some posts indicate that this can be done by mounting location of the main partition using

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

but that is has not been successful.

Is this possible to do from Live CD or is there a way to stop the frontend from starting?

You should be able to fix this also by just holding shift during boot and choosing the recovery option. There is an option there for restoring X or for a root shell.

oldpgmr
July 20th, 2010, 12:23 PM
That worked. I had tried that first but my setup has a usb wireless keyboard so it would not accept the shift command. Switching to a wired KB did the trick.

Thanks much