PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] xournal (v0.4.2.1) vs. PDF markup

SaintDanBert
July 19th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I launched xournal and selected AnnotatePDF from the menu.
Once I selected a file, click-whirr, and the PDF file contents displayed on screen.

I was able to navigate the document and use the pen to write on the page. NOTE -- The document is called "background" and the pen-droppings are "layer-1".

Problem #1: When I select Export to PDF from the menu, I only get the currently selected layer, not both as seen on screen.

Problem #2: When I select Print and use the cups-PDF printer, I only get the currently selected layer, not both as seen on screen.

QUESTION: Can someone tell me the trick to get my pen-droppings and the PDF original output to PDF? All I seem to get is the contents of either "background" or "layer-1." I cannot get PDF pages that contain both [all?] layers as one view.

I know that "PDF Annotation" is magic words within the PDF community. That is why I called it "markup." Crayon-over-page-image meets my needs for markup. I don't need other PDF tools to manipulate what I've drawn onto the PDF page. Consider, "Here! Sign this..." and
"... initial these changes ..."

~~~ 0;-Dan

SaintDanBert
July 19th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Curiouser and curiouser...

I tried to open the same PDF file with pdfedit.

WARNING -- I don't know how to use the program. This was a test to inspect the document.
I could not see any of the document contents using the pdfedit tool.
That might explain why xournal could see the PDF content as a "background" but could not write it out during printPDF or exportPDF.

Is there some PDF exptert, wizard, maven or guru who can help me sort this out.

~~~ 0;-Dan