PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Applying Windows 7 Theme Files

thegasgranny
July 19th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Hello,

My wife doesn't like gnome so I said I could make the desktop look like Windows 7. I've downloaded the theme pack but I can't find any instructions on how to apply it.

I downloaded it from here:

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Win7+Transformation+Pack+for+Ubuntu?content=113909

I'm guessing it a Emerald theme, but I don't know what to do with the files.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Cheers.

TGG.

3Miro
July 19th, 2010, 02:59 PM
There are different things to do for the different components. You probably already have compiz, so you can install emerald as well (use Ubuntu Software center). Then from the emerald settings you can point it to install the theme from the archive file. This os for the windows decorations only.

The GTK and GDM themes you should be able to just drag and drop into System -> Prefs -> Appearance.

I am not sure what to do with the Gnome menu theme and the AWN dockbar theme. The above two should at least give you a starting point and you will have to Google how to install themes for AWN and the menu.

Frogs Hair
July 19th, 2010, 03:36 PM
You will need to add the GnoMenu , the latest ppa can be found @ Web Upd8 . After installed right click gnome panel select add to panel and you will see the menu option then add it to the Panel.

Next right click the start button and go into properties and you find the installation options. select install and open the file location where the package is. Select the package and it should install. Once you have the menu installed click ok to restart the menu, it may take a couple of tries.

forS-E-O
July 19th, 2010, 03:39 PM
In Windows 7 you can create your own theme with your photos and your family members photos or The the wallpapers which you like more.

3Miro
July 19th, 2010, 04:00 PM
In Windows 7 you can create your own theme with your photos and your family members photos or The the wallpapers which you like more.

You can do that in Linux as well. You can select your own wallpapers and anyone can make a theme. Look for a tutorial on how to do that. The entire point of the Linux system is that absolutely every feature is customizable.