PDA

View Full Version : I have a confession........................

GMU_DodgyHodgy
July 19th, 2010, 01:53 AM
As I stated in another thread I have been working with my son this Summer to get him prepped for his 2nd Comp Science class for next year (7thgrade). The text book is using Python to teach fundamentals of programming.

I am hooked.

I have bend doing the chapers, problems, and exercizes with my son and I love working with this language.

I am finding excuses to use it at work (I work for IBM). I have found another group of enthusiasts in our Global Business Services Unit. It is a great platform for making some quick and clean software.

Sorry to post something that may seem trivial to most. But it is rare to get this new smell feeling about programming at my age again.

Ghil
July 19th, 2010, 02:00 AM
Don't be sorry, Python is a great language, and easy to learn, while being flexible. I'm glad to hear another's enthusiasm for python :)

Shining Arcanine
July 19th, 2010, 02:04 AM
It might be of interest to you to know that eselect, which many distributions borrowed from Gentoo Linux, is written in Python.

Legendary_Bibo
July 19th, 2010, 02:11 AM
I too started learning python after doing the first level of C++, and I am too hooked. I surpassed what I knew in C++ in a day. :)

fatality_uk
July 19th, 2010, 08:38 AM
See my sig!

Legendary_Bibo
July 19th, 2010, 08:45 AM
See my sig!

A true programmer writes in binary.

gnomeuser
July 19th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Quick, stop before you start experimenting with the contents of the medicine cabinet.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/python.png

GMU_DodgyHodgy
July 19th, 2010, 11:00 AM
See my sig!

Dude I get it - I have developed in C++, Turbo Pascal, and I even used an environment that allowed native compiling of Java code.

But like I said - I am older, do more design and project management now - this is like a private little joy I am having with my son.

Besides - Python seems to have found a way to simplify alot of things in programming.

Because it is new to me - I feel like I am 11 seeing it all new like my boy.

3rdalbum
July 19th, 2010, 12:31 PM
More like:

from antigravity import *

Otherwise it will be in a different namespace.

I agree though, Python is a really nice language. It's not as fun as Hypertalk, but you can certainly do a lot more with Python than you can with Hypertalk of course :-)

mr clark25
July 19th, 2010, 10:31 PM
...image...

that has got to be one of the best programing/computer comics i have seen yet...