PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing 10.04 on a new Windows 7 machine?

rlwpub
July 18th, 2010, 06:57 AM
I'm getting ready to install 32 bit Ubuntu 10.04 on a new 64 bit Windows 7 machine. I want to install it so it will dual boot.

Do I need to re partition the hard drive before installing or will the Ubuntu install CD handle the re partitioning for me?

Old_Grey_Wolf
July 18th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Here is a link to the Ubuntu documentation for installing a dual boot after Windows 7 is installed: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Bluesan
July 18th, 2010, 11:58 PM
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Lucid#Dual-Booting_Windows_and_Ubuntu

Edit:

Oops, similar info as the post above ^, just a different link.

ST3ALTHPSYCH0
July 19th, 2010, 12:30 AM
Dunno if the above links mention it, but, when you resize your windows partition, make sure that the "round to cylinders" box is unchecked.

rlwpub
July 20th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Thanks for the info. So what I am getting out of this is I can do it before installing Ubuntu or just let the install cd do it for me. Correct?

Old_Grey_Wolf
July 20th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Just out of cautiousness, I always let Windows shrink Windows. I did have a problem using Gparted once to shrink Windows one time; however, I may have done something wrong like not defragging first.

ST3ALTHPSYCH0
July 21st, 2010, 01:56 AM
Yeah, Windows built in drive tool isn't too awful. However, it'll create dynamic partitions if you're not paying attention to what you're doing, and Linux doesn't understand those.

Mark Phelps
July 21st, 2010, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the info. So what I am getting out of this is I can do it before installing Ubuntu or just let the install cd do it for me. Correct?

NO! Letting the Ubuntu installer shrink Win7 partitions is asking for trouble.

You would do better using the Win7 Disk Management utility to shrink the Win7 OS partition and then installing Ubuntu to the "largest free space".

corona79
July 21st, 2010, 07:15 PM
unanswered - so moving to new thread