PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Evolution Mail

tank.tmt
July 18th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Hi I want to use the calendar on ubuntu but not the email thing; evolution handles both however which I dont want. Is there a way to not use the email portion of evolution or even better is there something that will do the calendar thing only that i can replace evolution with. If I find I have to use evolution email thing - what is the difference between imap and pop and all that. I currently use gmail and am satisfied with it.

jtarin
July 18th, 2010, 08:02 AM
If a calendar is all you want (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/sunbird/)

or try the add-on for Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/lightning/)

gandaran
July 18th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Hi I want to use the calendar on ubuntu but not the email thing; evolution handles both however which I dont want. Is there a way to not use the email portion of evolution or even better is there something that will do the calendar thing only that i can replace evolution with. If I find I have to use evolution email thing - what is the difference between imap and pop and all that. I currently use gmail and am satisfied with it.
If you just want to use calendar then I suggest you install a calender only application, there are many around to choose from, a simple google search will turn out many linux calender applications.
have a look at the Ubuntu software center or synaptic too, the mozilla sunbird would be a good choice, install it from the repos.
but in my opinion you could use the evolution mail and calender.
the deference between pop and imap? pop just downloads email to the evolution inbox folder, it is the quicker and most used method, with the slower imap you get a complete synchronization with all your gmail mail folders.

stmiller
July 19th, 2010, 01:22 AM
IMAP is what you want! Forget pop.

IMAP is an active two-way connection with your email program and the server. All folders are in sync and mail is the same everywhere.

POP only does one thing: pulls your inbox mail down from the server. Nothing stays in sync.

holadebob
July 19th, 2010, 01:51 AM
Kontact is one really great calendar prog, have been using it for about a week. Although I am using gnome, Synaptic included all the KDE files to run this app.

lyni
July 19th, 2010, 04:49 AM
you can also install KOrganizer. you'll find it in Synaptic Package Manager or in Ubuntu Software Centre.

lisati
July 19th, 2010, 04:51 AM
IMAP is what you want! Forget pop.

IMAP is an active two-way connection with your email program and the server. All folders are in sync and mail is the same everywhere.

POP only does one thing: pulls your inbox mail down from the server. Nothing stays in sync.

I didn't know you could use IMAP or POP as a calendar! :D:D:D:D

sgosnell
July 19th, 2010, 04:56 AM
If you want to continue to use the web interface of GMail, you can certainly do that. Just don't give Evolution your GMail password, and don't click on the email portion. You don't even have to set up the email portion. However, if you do set it up, you can keep your Google calendar synced to your Evolution calendar. You can keep them separate if you want, and show either or both. If you don't use Google calendar, then don't bother with it. Evolution also has to-dos and memos, which I don't use. You can use the parts you like and just ignore the others.