PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] PHP session ID security

V for Vincent
July 17th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Hi there, I'm working on a small web app that requires users to login. I'm pretty new to PHP, but I've learnt that session handling using a cookie should be the way to go. I got my hands on a PHP book (beginning PHP and MySQL 5, apress) which does explain the basic idea, but which doesn't really say anything on session security. That is, it explains how a SID is stored in a cookie and how that can be used to identify a user, but... well, here's an example:

if(!isset($_SESSION['name'])){
}
else{
$name=$_SESSION['name'];
echo "Welcome back, $name!";
}

No check to see whether the cookie hasn't been manipulated by the client. Seems to me that, given that cookies are stored on the client machine, you would have to include something like a hash of the user's password as an additional session variable and then check that against a login table, rather than just accept what's in the cookie. Would that make for a secure login mechanism?

Barrucadu
July 17th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I typically include a hash of the users username and password, possibly along with part of their IP or user agent if I'm feeling particularly secure.

regreth
July 17th, 2010, 07:17 PM
A session can be "hijacked" by getting the SESID as it's the client-side reference to it.You could avoid Session-Hijacking by including some of the user information at the session (like his ip and browser for example) and checking it among accessing the session data.

V for Vincent
July 17th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Okay, good to hear there's a simple solution. Thanks!

DanielWaterworth
July 17th, 2010, 07:45 PM
php session ids are at least 128bits long afaik. In this case the chances of a collision of slim to none, 1 in 340282366920938463463374607431768211456 provided they're generated randomly enough.

Hellkeepa
July 21st, 2010, 01:31 PM
HELLo!

I'd also recommend you to read the following post, as it's basicly the same issue. ;-)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9616860&postcount=8

Happy syncin'!